Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Dec and RA setting circle question

alexd106

Dear all,

I am just dipping my toe into the world of star gazing and have a couple of questions that you might be able to help me out with (I hope they're not too simple!)

I have just received a Skywatcher EQ5 mount with synscan through the post and have been spending quite a bit of time putting the thing together with some woefully inadequate instructions that came with it. Anyway, I have a number of queries that I haven't been able to find the answer to.

Firstly, I have noticed that you are able to rotate the dec scale on the mount and there is no way to lock it out. Is this normal? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that you shouldn't be able to do this to get accurate Dec position. If this is normal, how would I calibrate it to the correct value given the position of my mount.

Secondly, when I screw the locking screw into the hole in the top of the RA scale at zero (to lock it) it doesn't really hold the bottom of scale in place and it tends to slip forward (i think it is initially held in place by some sticky grease). This results in the scale being held at a slight angle. Again, should it be doing this? Also, when the locking screw is engaged in the RA circle the motion in the RA axis becomes very stiff quite quickly. Would this mean a misaligned RA axis?

Sorry if these are daft questions, but it's all starting to get far more complicated than I imagined it would - and I haven't even looked at the sysnscan yet!

Cheers

Alex

• 1 year later...

Hi AlexD!

I have just experienced exactly the same thing and was searching for more info when the search engine hit your thread... Have you by the way downloaded the "real" documentation? This document is necessary - the paper that came with the scope is rudimental...

http://content.telescope.com/rsc/img/catalog/product/instructions/skywatcher_8051_8052.pdf

In the pictures here you can clearly see the date-circle and the polar-scope holder which for some reason is not included with the mount. Without these parts the R.A. setting circle seems to hang loose. It looks like you have to buy the optional polar-scope to get these parts. I have seen some non-original polar-scopes but they do not seem to include a real date-circle. Anyone out there who could provide more info or some recommendations??

Dont have the EQ5 but have the EQ6 and the DEC and RA setting circles have small thumb screws in them so they can be locked out. I would presume the 5 would be similar.

A year in and i still find myself with more questions than answers! but loving the rewarding experience. ;)

You may find the following of use, i did and still do...

A Quick Tour of an EQ Mount - McWiki

Archived