NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(N)EQ6 Pro Not Aligning

Hello,

I eventually got around to using my new EQ-6 Pro with the C8 Schmidt-Cass.

However, when I tried the 3-star align it failed.....multiple times. I had the mount properly NCP aligned and the objects I was using (namely Vega, Dubhe and Arcturus) were centered well in the middle of the eyepiece.

Having had a NexStar previously, I know that if the power supply isn't fully on it then the alignment procedure won't work.....is this the same for the Synta mounts?

Also, I use a Celestron Powertank, can the EQ-6 be ran directly from the mains using the plug supplied with the powertank? I noticed that the EQ-6 requires 12Volts, yet the power supply into the powertank is 15 Volts...so would this knacker the insides (I know noting about voltages etc!)

Can the mount be ran from the mains via the powertank?

Procedure

1/ Align the mount to the NCP.

2/ Set the telescope to its park position - ie aimed at Polaris (desont have to be exactly on POlaris but aimed along the mount if you see what I mean), scope over its weights and in line.

Power up the Synscan amd make sure you enter the date format as MM/dd/yy. Enter time zone - 0 for GMT.

Do a 3 star align. Mount will slew to the first star. It should be obvious which star its aiming for. Centre the star using the handset and press enter

On to the next star and eventually the third.

When you say its not aligning can you be more specific - is it close to the star, nowehere near, aiming at the ground etc.

One obvious problem comes to mind if its missing by a longish way is that v3.24 software has a bug where it will only accept the minus key as valid when you enter the timezone. V3.25 fixes that problem.

Hope thats of some small help.

Lol, cheers.

I learnt from the NexStar to insert the date in the correct format!

As for the 'Daylight Saving'......what should I do 'Yes' or 'No' ??

Set-up as follows:

Date: 07/24/2009

Time: 23:00(ish)

Daylight Saving: Yes

I did all those things as above....the scope does slew close to the object, I mean, it knows where to go rather well and it is accurate, only about 2 degrees off....but it says alignment failed...the only thing I can think of is power supply, the mount was flashing!

One of my EQ6 mounts (calling itself NEQ6 but without Losmandy fittings) flashes when in use. The earlier one doesn't. At the moment the answer to daylight saving time is Yes.

Is your scope mounted orthogonally? (ie are the tube rings or dovetail aligned with the mount?0 You might have cone error if not, but I think this very unlikely.

What about trying a one star align? If it doesn't do perfect GoTo after that you can slew to a nearby bright star and recentre the mount's virtual map as explained in the handbook. Might be interesting to see how this worked. It could give an insight into the problem.

Olly

The motors in the HEQ5pro, and I'm sure the EQ6 are very happy working with 15V; that's what I've been using on my HEQ5pro for the last couple of years with no problems. I run 20Ah gel cell batteries and a 120W 12V Laptop convertor- 12V to 15V.

If the bulb on the mount is flashing while it slews it does indicate the power isnt good enough - that alone will cause alignment hassles and it sure as hell wont find anything with its GoTo.

Sounds like either the supply is weak OR the cable supplying the mount is a bit feeble. The ones supplied with the scope are foten not up to it. Mine was ok but I was told that when it gets cold the cable supplied will fail and create all kinds of weird problems. I bought a better cable off FLO as a precaution. Didnt want the hassle of a failing mount on a good night and a cable is cheap enough as a bit of extra insurance.

My HEQ% Pro flashes when the battery back is running low and usually the flashing light on the mount will happen quite a bit of time before the power tanks 'needs charging' light comes on.

HEQ5s ( and EQ6s ) are heavy on power. I got a Maplin 17aH power tank and mine seems happy with that to run for quite some time.

Archived