NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LCROSS and asteroid (3731)Hancock rendez-vous

Hello,

The best part was calculating the date and time where the rendez-vous between the LCROSS moonship and an asteroid would occur. Even if I found some (the 8th of July was ok with 3 asteroids in the same field but much further appart) the 11th was my first choice. Unfortunately at my J11 observatory, here where I live in the center of Matosinhos near Oporto the weather was really nasty. So I traveled to the J15 at my parents home, in the countryside and 250 km appart from where I live, expressely to take these images. I hope you like it a little. The field this time is really crouded with stars and therefore the contrast is not high but you will see it. Something like "find the Wally".

The Science@NASA makes a reference to my oldest pictures of LCROSS which made me proud (even if it does meaning nothing :)).

Here the link to the Science@NASA: NASA - Moonship Photographed by Backyard Astronomers.

You may see it at the 4th paragraph from the end.

Ok, here the latest images with the close encounter:

Tak FS102NSV @ f/8 + QSI532WS-M1 + Clear filter

Conditions: moon and only at 30º alt max.

Before the meridian flip (11x90s):

jdv1247407807g.gif

cqs1247408985t.gif

After the meridian Flip (17x120s):

cqs1247409039o.gif

rgh1247409091u.gif

Regards,

paulo

What do you mean Paulo "even if it does meaning nothing"

Just to be mentioned by NASA is a fantastic achievement. Surely they are amazed by your work just as we are.

Fantastic work again Paulo, well done! I really love the stuff you do and share with us here. :)

Congratulations too for getting a mention from NASA - quite an achievement. It's good to see them recognising the importance of amateur astronomers in their missions.

Looking forward to your next one!

Nick

Archived