NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1396 in Cepheus

Deneb

Hi

I took this shot on Sunday night gone - the 5th of July 09, the Original showed a lot of noise, I had the kind help of "Aza" to help me re-process this image, thanks again mate. Taken with my WO setup before the clouds rolled in, 7x 1.5min Subs, 7x Flats @ISO200, unfortunatly I did not pickup any Nebulosity (which makes me feel more eager to mod my camera for HA transmissions) :

IC1396_rev2WO66SD.jpg

then cropped :

IC1396_rev2_crop2WO66SD.jpg

Hi Deneb

Check your email, I resent something for you.

To get the nebulosity you will need longer subs, and also I would use ISO 800.

Only go down to 200 for really bright objects.

And of course a modded camera would make a huge difference too :)

Oh and start taking darks!! :)

Interesting that there is no nebulosity present, yet the stars are as crisp as you like. Great guidng. If you use a modded camera you'll be amazed! One of my all time favourite astro images is one of this area taken by a guest Frans Kroon. It's on his site www.franskroon.nl in his nebulae section. He used a 20Da. What I like about his image is that the nebulosity is subtle. I overdid it with mine and got one of those Pink-Out Elephant trunks. It's all down to taste and a good compromise. What you are giving us is a great view of the cluster as a cluster, which is often overlooked in the rush to grab all that pink!

Olly

Thanks for your comments all, Olly - I have never been good at imaging nebulosity, but practice makes perfect I believe. You have just giving me a thought about imaging clusters without showing the "Red & Pink".

Nice, tight guiding, I too agree with longer exposures you can start catching some nebulosity. This one is especially challenging as it's fairly faint overall, but using iso 400-800 and 5minute plus subs you should be able to do it even with the unmodded cam.

Daniel

Archived