NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connector problems...

Hi everyone,

I've had my scope for a few months now, really enjoying my new hobby, slowly but surely picking up the basics, not without problems as you'll see , but having a blast anyway.:)

However, I recently decided to hook up my DSLR camera in order to try and take a few pics, nothing major to start , just a few shots of the moon etc, you know what every beginner decides to do. This is where my problems start.....

Problem 1

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150PL , F8 , Reflector scope which I'm very happy with. My camera is a NIKON D60, had it for a while.

I purchased a Nikon T Ring and a T adaptor from FLO (great service as always). Everything clicked and fitted together the way it was supposed to , however I could not get right to focus with these connectors all in place.

However, Just using the T Ring my camera fits directly onto the focuser thread perfectly and focus is fine? Did I buy a T Adaptor for nothing?

Problem 2

Going to sound like a right plonker now but, I tend to get myself in all sorts of problems starhopping simply because of the inverted view and the compass points being in different positions through the eyepiece!!! (Start off okay but a few jumps and I'm lost!!).

So in order to solve this problem I purchased an erecting prism, fitted pieces together this evening and a similar problem to my camera, I cannot get focus. I unscrewed the 'connector' and literally held up the erecting prism to the focuser and was able to get a clear focused view with no problem. However it won't physically attach or screw directly to the focuser. Do I need another attachment ?

Hope you can understand my ramblings and maybe someone can shed a bit of light on the problem. Would collimation have any bearing on these problems? I noticed this evening before packing everything up that my scope needs collimated again.

Thanks in advance guys:confused:

RTB

Newtonians have a shorter focus travel than other scopes and that's probably the issue. I know a few people here have fitter lower profile focusers or found other ingenious ways to bring cameras to focus on newts so there are ways and means around it. Same goes for the prism, you're adding a fair bit of space between the focuser and the eyepiece so that's not going to work either. HAve you though about buying a right-angle erect image finder as a solution?

Tony..

I thought that was the sort thing that I had bought? 90 degree erecting prism. What's the difference? Forgive me if I'm sounding like the village idiot on this one!!

The frustrating thing is that the prism gives me perfect focus and image when held directly into the focuser!! If I could just get something to attach to the thread of the focuser!! The piece provided seems to push the prism to far back to achieve focus.

I meant a right angle, erect image finder to replace the finder that's currently on the OTA. You're talking about a prism that you're putting inbetween the focuser and eyepiece right?

Tony..

Yes, when held direct at the focuser, the prism gives a perfect view.

Do you mean replace the finderscope?

If you are I can see the benefits , but my problem seems to be getting lost when I have to view through the focuser and eyepiece . Maybe it's my starhopping technique that needs improving not my scope!!!!

Archived