NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Balancing a 10" FlexTube Dob

I recently acquired a 10" FlexTube mainly to go deeper with DSOs. The quality is wonderful and since buying a HoTech laser collimator (thanks Steve for advice) the scope is spot on.

I tested the scope's collimation on the double double and obtained sharp clear space between each double at 240x.

However, when I use heavy 2" EPs (eg 13mm Ethos) the balancing is top heavy. Using the handles to tighten almost resolves it but I still have slippage downwards. I am sure some SGL members have experienced similar problems so how do you resolve yours?

Mark

My Lightbridge 12" suffers from this so I've installed a counter balance system (pic below) that was orginally intended for SCT's. This combined with keeping the weight of the upper OTA to a minimum (ie: light weight RDF rather than an optical finder) has done the trick and I don't have to use the altitude brake at all now - even with the mighty Nagler 31mm in the focusser !.

John

post-12764-133877380716_thumb.jpg

My solution involves an large old magnet from a loudspeaker and just attaching to the OTA. Moving it from the middle of the tube towards to primary works really well to balance heavy EP's. I also covered it with spare flocking material to stop it from scratching the paint.

John

Archived