NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Micro focuser for cpc800

Hi all

Can anyone advise if a micro focuser, or maybe something along the lines of a moonlite exists for the Celestron CPC800. I must admit, the only bit on the scope I do not like is the focuser as there is not really a great deal of fine tuning available. Thanks, Terry.

The CPC800 has a standard SCT rear port, you can hang a crayford type focuser off it if you wish - but beware balance; your scope is likely tail heavy already and a crayford hung on the rear port will make the balance a lot worse so you'd need a counterweight too.

The alternative is the Feathertouch replacement for the standard focusing knob, which gives a two speed action with 10:1 reduction, does not weigh a ton or increase back focus and is rumoured to reduce mirror flop. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a UK source for this excellent device.

Its a pity the CPC's dont have a mirror lock, as a mirror lock and SCT Port Crayford would probably be the best zero shift zero backlash solution.

I bought celestrons rip off eelctric focuser but its so big that you cant use it with a DSLR at prime focus...

I have made my own "improved" controller for it as the Celstron one is a cheap plastic box with two of the mankiest push buttons in existence and a PCB mounted pot glued to the box... oh but you do get celestron printed on it....

Peter...

Hi

I replaced my focuser with a Feather touch focuser, its well worth it :)

See link below for a UK supplier :headbang:

Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Microfocuser Celestron CPC800 & NexStar 6SE 8SE

229 quid? Bloomin' 'eck, I'm in the wrong business! Seriously, that's just not worth the money. Better off with a Crayford that can be swapped between SCT's, this for example http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_SCT_Crayford_Focuser_Dual_Speed.htm Rough focus with the standard focusser and fine focus with this. Much more versatile.

I got my NS8 microfocuser from starizona in the US http://starizona.com/acb/Feathertouch-SCT-MicroFocuser---Celestron-CPC-800NexStar-6SE-8SE-P2517C654.aspx

The service was great!

Another option is this ScopeStuff (or the home-made equivalent using a jar lid!)

Helen

Thats more like it - under £100 at current USD/GBP exchange rates + shipping, UK import and sales taxes (about 21.5%). Might be worth importing direct. Still be cheaper tha £229. What a rip-off.

Hello Terry.

I have a "feathertouch" on my C8i. It is a much better focuser than the standard one fitted, but even so, it does not entirely eradicate "mirror shift."

This still occurs when using high powers. It is only slight, but it is there, and in my opinion, does somewhat cancel out the benefits of the fine focus part of the "feathertouch."

I thing a better focuser would be a crayford type. I realise this might add some extra weight to the rear of the scope, but it would eliminate mirror shift entirely. (If you are going to pay quite a bit of money for a focuser, you may as well get one that will get the maximum out of your scope).

Best wishes,

philsail1

The only problem with adding a SCT crayford to the CPC is it will eat up a lot of that vital space btween the rear cell and the mount... I can just about get a Canon 350/1000D to pass through the forks when using a focal reducer and the necessary extension pieces to get the right Reducer /sensor distance... With a crayford in there as well I would be unable to get to sections of the sky...

Peter...

Archived