NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seen M81 tonight for 1st time

acharris77

Hi all, had some clearish skies, so I went out with my Skywatcher and aligned the goto and sent the scope to it, and to my delight I saw a fuzzy patch. Though it was not very easy to see due to the light pollution, I was still happy to see some fuzzy patch in the eyepiece.

Will have to try and find a darkish place away from the street lights, as I dont really know that many safe sites up the valleys, other than up the mountain which I will have to park up and then there is always cars passing, and even though I am not a scared person, I dont fancy being middle of a dead quite place where some idiot can knife me or something for my car or scope.

Congratulations on seeing M81, Anthony! :)

Have you tried draping a dark cloth (or towel) over your head? I realize LP is the main problem, but blocking stray light from hitting your eyes might let you squeeze another 1/2 magnitude or so out of the eyepiece.

Also, see if there's an astro group in your area. You could join the group and find someone to go observing with.. they might know of a safe, dark spot you could use.

Congrats on bagging M81 Anthony it's a lovely sight isn't it :) know what you mean about light pollution affecting the view... I side with Carol about the dark sheet over your head, works wonders :p Also, averted vision... the astronomers best friend :D

Amanda

Archived