Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 & C8 First Light Setup

BlueAstra

Took the new EQ6 Pro out of its plastic bag last night and set it up to try it out while it was still light (ie all night!). I have mounted it on a mobile pier so that I can keep it in the garage and then wheel it down the path to the patio (under refurbishment). This makes the weight manageable and works surprisingly well. The OTA is off my 8se, giving me a quick grab and go system (8se) or a stable photo system (EQ6) - sorted! Suprisingly the 8se and the OTA alone were about the same price, so I opted for flexibility.

So I settled down to read the manual on polar alignment, setting up the polar scope, and after decided to go for a stiff drink. Anyway, came back and aligned the polar scope on a pylon and checked for concenticity (no adjustment required!). I then went through the calibration of the RA and date wheels, levelled the scope and then waited for it to go dark(ish). While waiting, came across the polarfinder program and decided that it was easier to use the predicted position of polaris than fiddle with the setting rings.

Its dark(ish) - I can see polaris! I grovelled under the scope looking through the finder, no polaris. Is the illuminated graticule too bright? switched off the power, still no star. Dragged the mount round to look at Vega through the polarscope, still no star. After 10min noticed that the dust cap I had put back on on while waiting was still on. Snarl-removed cap, but still no star. Spent anougher 10 min scanning, then noticed the Dec axis had rotated and the polar scope hole had moved to block the view! Rotated Dec and was blinded by Vega. Moved the mount back to polaris, re-levelled it (Gerrr..), and adjusted the al/az to put polaris where polarfinder said it should be.

Having taken an hour to do what I now know can be done in 10min, I did the 3 star alignment from the handset and was taken aback by the accuracy of the mount. Every target I selected was in the FOV of the EP. Saturn looked sharp and clear with moons (plural!). Job done, I was tempted to take a snapshot of M13 to round off the night. Went back to Vega to focus the camera with my DIY Berbatov Mask (sorry, its round and I can't pronounce bah...). One shot, 30s, no stacking etc. Great, no significant trailing, good record of setup, mount considered commissioned!

I can now think about EQMOD control, guiding, photos, etc, and of course just observing, with this wonderful mount as the nights get longer and more dark(ish).

post-16060-133877378299_thumb.jpg

post-16060-133877378304_thumb.jpg

post-16060-133877378309_thumb.jpg

Yep. Almost went for the CPC800, right on the edge, but good advice here showed me the way! It was looking at a CPC800 in the flesh, an imagining trying to move it plus wedge, that finally cpnvinced me. Then I suddenly realised what a flexible upgrade path this option gves me.

Archived