NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to get a small counterweight for CG-5

Hi,

I have a CG-5GT which has 2x5kg weights. Putting my C80ED onto it, I can't get a single counterweight close enough to balance the scope. Anyone know where I can order a smaller counterweight so I can balance the scope on the mount?

TIA

Two alternative ideas: Argos and tescos sell dumb bell / bar bell weights at a reasonable price. Alternatively make one from lead scrounged for free from a tyre dealership - they scrap the lead mass balances.

Mark

Two alternative ideas: Argos and tescos sell dumb bell / bar bell weights at a reasonable price. Alternatively make one from lead scrounged for free from a tyre dealership - they scrap the lead mass balances.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Good idea. Any ideas how to secure the dumb bell weights to the bar?

Drill a hole through it, tap the hole and use a bolt/thumbscrew?

Gaffa tape?

Luckily I had the opposite problem in that I didn't have enought counterweight. I put my dumbbell weights between the two original counterweights that already had clamping thumbscrews.

Mark

Drill a hole through it, tap the hole and use a bolt/thumbscrew?
Hi,

I did think of that - I have a drill, but no workshop/vice etc in the garage to do the other bits unfortunately. Don't really fancy trying to do all that by hand (nor spending the money to enable me to) :icon_salut:

Did you get the PM Astrodev?

2 jubilee clips then - or even two cable ties?

Arthur

To balance my EQ5/CG5 when I use it with my C9.25, I use the standard 4Kg counterweight that came with the mount + 2 x 2Kg dumbells (from a Lidl weightlifting kit). As the hole in the dumbell is larger than the shaft, I sleeved it down with a bit of 25mm plastic electrical conduit I had lying around. The dumbells sit on top of the standard weight and are secured with a jubilee clip. Simples.

I once made some weights out of heavy steel flat bar cut into squares and stacked on top of each other, they can be welded together or added and removed as needed. A boss that bolts to the shaft can hold them in place. Check out the pm

Archived