NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn & Titan?

Dr Dixon

After http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/80626-first-saturn-23-05-2009-a.html, i had another go a saturn on Friday 29th May, conditions were clear but it was warm and blowy and the seeing wasnt good. I did about 8 captures of 1000+ frames each this is the best I managed to come up with.

Same as last time ED80, X2 barlow ( though this time i pulled out the toucam as its attached to a 35mm film can to get some extension and a bit larger scale )ToUcam, registax and PSP X2 for post Processing.

In this capture there was a faint blob (which i have enhanced) which i take to be titan from checking the position in Winstars, (hopefully this is correct and it wasnt just a dust bunny :cool:) also this time i managed to just get the first signs of banding on saturns disk which is an improvement over last time :icon_salut:.

Now i am just waiting for extension tube and higher power barlow.

Object_20090529_2219_001.tif

Good one Dr D.....good to see you using extenders to up the image scale from your last shots - I'd reckon (without checking to verify) that that's Titan out there from Saturn: bands most definitely showing, and considering this is an ED80 that's excellent shooting (great scope btw, I use one myself, just commenting on the fact it's only 80mm!:cool:)

Those extension tubes are one of a planetary imager's best friends imho.....you don't need to break the bank with a plethora of barlows and you can tailor the image scale any one night to the seeing conditions....!:icon_salut:

Thanks for the comments. Agree the Celestron ED80 is a great little scope even better considering that i got it in the recent discounts so it was less the £200.

Will be trying for better shots as there should be plenty more detail in there, better focus, more scale and better seeing and fingers crossed :icon_salut:

Thanks for the comments. Agree the Celestron ED80 is a great little scope even better considering that i got it in the recent discounts so it was less the £200.

Will be trying for better shots as there should be plenty more detail in there, better focus, more scale and better seeing and fingers crossed :D

.....an AA'er after my own heart with those sentiments Dr D :headbang::icon_salut: - that's why I keep on working at my planetary images with the old 6" achromat: sure, my 12" newt will up the ante considerably for me when I have it up and running but in the meantime I consider it a real challenge (and most definitely valuable learning experiences!) to keep on tweaking all the little variables and studying the differing effects seeing has etc on image quality out of the one instrument.....for me it's just a pity that the colour rendition of the old achromat can't be more like the ED80's ability....!:):cool::icon_salut:

Archived