Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rotating sats?

G4YVM

Last night I was watching the skies with my wife and we saw several satellites that "flashed" as they flew, almost as if they were rotating and the refective bits were glinting in the sun. I never lost sight of either of them during their transit, even when they were dim, but they increased and diminished in brightness (rather than the "on/off" flash of a strobe).

Do satellites rotate like this? I always thought they were held steady with their solar panels inclined to the sun.

I also saw several BRIGHT flashes - could these have been iridium or similar?

It's busy up there, no??

David

Yes, it's very busy up there, lol. From what i understand, some sats are on a 'barbecue roll' so the internal temp stays even... that might be the flashing ones you saw. Either that, or rotating orbital debris (lots of that up there too).

And yes, the bright flashes may have been iridium flares.. have you been to the Heavens-Above site yet? It's great. :cool:

Do satellites rotate like this? I always thought they were held steady with their solar panels inclined to the sun.

Most of them do rotate, the attitude stabilization only lasts for a time before the fuel is used up & they start tumbling - if they were ever controlled at all, and lots of the stuff up there is bits of shroud, used up rocket stages etc. that never was attitude stabilized, not to mention the debris from orbital weapons testing (thank you, China) & accidental collisions.

Thanks all. I had assumed that most of the stuff one sees is functioning kit...clearly NOt so.

Ref heavens above, yes I haave been there but never quite managed to get outside in time to see the flares. One day, one day!

David

Archived