Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope for astronomy and wildlife

A spotting scope of about 100mm will do a good job, but is still a terrestrial scope at heart. You will need a more solid mount for astronomy than these things usually come with. My experience with a photo tripod and my 65mm Mak is that it is too wobbly for really satisfactory astronomy.

My experience with a photo tripod and my 65mm Mak is that it is too wobbly for really satisfactory astronomy.

This does depend hugely on the photo tripod. Tripods can have three attributes - affordable, carryable, steady - but rarely more than one and never all three.

I have a Manfrotto 028B which is perfectly satisfactory to carry an 80mm f/6 refractor using either the 501V (fluid video) or 393 (monopod gimbal) head. In fact the 393 will carry much more than that, I can get sharp images of the Moon even using the Canon 400mm f/2.8L (6 Kg) with a 2x tele-extender though that combination is way too much for the 501.

Well something like a Celestron Nexstar 4SE would probably be good as well - 90mm Maksutov on an electronic alt/az mount. More optimised for astronomy but a good scope for birding I would have thought ( I know nothing about birding by the way ).

Some bird spotters use a 90mm Mak so I would have thought the Nexstar 4SE or something similar would be good.

Just remember to ask about the minimum focus distance before you decide to buy or you might end up with something that can only focus way into the distance :cool:

--

Martyn

I have an Opticron 85mm which is excellent for birding and pretty good as a grab and go for astronomy too.

The problem with the S@N review recently, is that it concentrated solely on using the scopes for astronomical purposes and not a combination. No one buys a spotting scope just for astronomy, so the review is IMHO a waste of paper! A 100mm spotting scope is a bit too unwiedly for dragging round the fields!

Archived