SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which eyepiece?

I thought i would treat myself to a new e/p. I have the ones that came with the scope.Skywatcher Skyliner 200p on Dob. mount.super 25 long eye relief and 10mm ..I was wondering about Meade 5000 series Phossl 5.5mm or any other suggestions would be appreciated. But in the price rage of under £100 .Thanks very much as usual.

Hi Rosie

The Meade 5000 5.5mm is a very good eyepiece for the price which I own and recommend. I believe the Baader Hyperion 5mm is also good for the money.

Is there anything in particular you want the eyepiece for?

Regards

Richard

Hi Rosie.

Have you thought of employing a first class barlow. A Televue 2x barlow can be used on both eyepieces you have effectively doubling your eyepiece collection.

I use the TV 2x and 3x barlows and both are first class. Although I have a wide selection of various eyepieces I find myself pulling out the same 3 and mating them with a TV barlow for more magnification. In a "desert island" scenario were I could only take 2 eyepieces it would probably be my 40mm and 20mm, with a barlow or two of course.

A Televue 2x barlow would cost about the same as an eyepiece your looking at. Further info here:

TeleVue 2x Barlow 1.25"

I haven't any experience of Hyperion eyepieces, though I believe they are good. I do have Televue eyepieces however and can vouch for their excellence.

Just a thought.

Clear skies.

Dave.

I would suggest a 6 or 7mm ep and a 2x Barlow would fill in your collection very nicely. You could go with any decent brand name plossl, and a Barlow in about the same price range. this would give you a range of 25, 12.5, 10, 7, 5 and 3.5. If you could only afford one, get the Barlow.

Archived