Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Sky Site near Cheltenham

Hi there. I'm quite new to the area of Gloucs, and whilst I think it's not too bad where I live, would like some advice about where I can find a couple of safe / well visited dark sites in the locale.

The Phillips Dark Sky map shows some interesting areas in the Cotswolds, but of course, Hereford is up the road - seemingly very dark.

However, if you have direct sites of interest, that would be really helpful (atronomer friendly of course)

Cheers

Steve

Lucksall Caravan/Camping Park near Mordiford 5 miles from Hereford close to the M50 is a good spot. Another is Bracelands Campsite in the forest of Dean.

Close to Cheltenham near to Bishops Cleeve Hill is a place called Nottingham Hill which has good views of the Severn Valley. A small lane goes along the ridge of the hill with a parking place half way along.

Frocester Hill near to Stroud has a viewing spot and car park.

Panswick Beacon is a good spot to take some binocular too but is a bit of a walk from the car park.

To get some darker skies you will probably need to go a bit deeper into the Cotswold Escarpment.

The main difficulty with a lot of these areas is that they turn into popular places for 'couples' to frequent so could be a bit embaressing if you are armed with binoculars.

Regards

Kevin

Archived