NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Activity May 20th

brianb

The active area which has been on the disc for a while is now approaching the western limb; observation in white light showed faculae associated with this active area, faint but definite in 80mm x53 with solar film filter & Baader solar contrast filter.

Having made the white light obs I set up my imaging rig only for show clouds to roll in, preventing imaging until 6pm (BST).

Calcium light shows the two active areas

Sun-CaK-090520-1703.jpg

(1703 UT 20 May 2009)

The active area near the western limb in hydrogen alpha

Sun-Ha-090520-1730-plageW-X2.jpg

(1730 UT 20 May 2009)

The active area just east of the meridian in hydrogen alpha, note the prominent filament associated with this AA

Sun-Ha-090520-1729-plageE-X2.jpg

(1729 UT 20 May 2009)

Few prominences today but this group on the SW limb merited imaging

Sun-Ha-090520-1731-promSW-X2.jpg

(1731 UT 20 May 2009)

I'm really enjoying all the pics ur posting. I just had my first look through my newly made white light tonight. Cool I'm looking at our star!! I couldn't see any activity yet. I'll keep an eye on your posts for a good sunspot!

Brian

Thanks guys.

The calcium images are made with a bog standard Coronado CaK PST. Whole disc images at prime focus. Hydrogen alpha images made with a Solarscope SV60. Whole disc images with a focal reducer. I use a 2x barlow for closeups with both scopes. Camera is an Imaging Source DMK41AU02.AS. Processing with Registax v5, colouring & cropping with Photoshop Elements.

Archived