NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen LVW Eyepiece advice

Hi Folks,

Anyone use the Vixen LVW Eyepieces,

I have a 14" F4.7 OO dob and am looking at getting some nice wide field eyepieces with good eye relief.

Heard good things about the Vixen LVW 22mm, but has anyone got any comments on the 42mm LVW before I buy one and maybe regret it.

cheers

Ron

Hello Ron.

What telescope are you planning using a 42mm eyepiece on?

Some of the longer focal length eyepieces don't go too well with particular scopes. Sometimes, you can start to see a reflection of the secondary mirror in the eyepiece with some of the shorter focal length scope and long focal length, low power eyepiece combinations.

I would certainly wait for some, more experienced advice than I can give, before buying.

Best wishes,

philsail1

The 22mm LVW is excellent - it seemed equal in most respects to the much applauded Panoptic 24mm to me. I'm sure the 42mm is also very good but I would have doubts about it in an F/4.7 scope because i) the exit pupil would be huge and ii) you may well have problems with the secondary shadow being visable as philsail1 says - this was an issue with my F/5 12" and a 32mm eyepiece recently. I reckon 30mm is the optimum focal length eyepiece for low power in scopes around F/5.

John

Thanks for the feedback folks,

Looks like 42mm is not the way to go on on a F4.7 Dob.

I still plan to get the 22mm LVW, any thought an a good 30mm wide angle with plenty of eye relief.

All the best

Ron

Thanks for the feedback folks,

Looks like 42mm is not the way to go on on a F4.7 Dob.

I still plan to get the 22mm LVW, any thought an a good 30mm wide angle with plenty of eye relief.

All the best

Ron

Hi Ron,

I recently tested a Skywatcher Aero ED 30mm and found that nice optically and very comfortable to view through - my review is posted on the reviews section of SGL.

John

Thanks John,

I will have a look at your review

Must admit I have not considered one of these before.

I have tried one of the 32mm SWA eyepieces but find the edge of field distortion too distracting.

Cheers

Ron

Archived