Jupiter strip sketch for the 2024 apparition

josefk

There is a high probability this project will crash and burn. I have no idea if:

1. I will get to observe Jupiter often enough to get the whole 360-degrees in a time frame where general evolution/change in the cloud formations doesn't make the whole thing moot. Minimally it needs 6x 60-degree slices but realistically i suppose i need 10 or 12 individual sessions distributed nicely around the whole globe. In a decent length observing session i could record a new "slice" every 1hr 40-minutes - i nearly managed this last Friday and it will get easier (earlier) later into the season so it isn't unrealistic.
  2. I will see Jupiter well enough to capture meaningful detail rather than just impressionistic very similar looking smudges in each session - this is the big obstacle i think.
  3. That i have the principles correct for of how to place the central meridian on an absolute longitude and stitch the individual session sketches together without too much distortion.

I know it will be fun trying and i'll learn a lot in the process.

Here's my starter for ten just to see how it will or could go together, (though in practise i will actually copy my own sketches onto the strip towards the end of the project rather than crop and place pics of them):

Screenshot2024-10-14at15_40_27.thumb.png.8d3dbe09f43c951d144f2c50f56c632d.png

...alternatively some variant of this if i can nail my technique better (and i pay more attention to capturing the observation at higher and lower latitudes):

Screenshot2024-10-14at15_40_36.thumb.png.ff3baeb44fa2fd15e3eb232e451e277e.png

I'll post updates here as i go on. Any guidance from experienced heads gratefully received! Especially if anyone can tell already i'm going about this all wrong 😂

• Like 8