Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG and EQ???

I'm no expert and no doubt others will reply in time, but my understanding is that they are all made in China by Synta and that the CG series and EQ series are roughly comparable.

Anyone have more info?

My understanding is that the Celestron mounts (or at least these lower cost ones) are made by Synta (who also make Skywatcher stuff). The Celestron CG3 seems to be equivilent to a SW EQ2, the CG4 is equivilent to an SW EQ3-2 and the CG4 is very similar to the EQ5. I think the Celestron equivilents might have slightly better bearings and the CG5 comes with 2" diameter steel legs wheras the EQ5 has 1.5" legs as standard.

John

My understanding is that the Celestron mounts (or at least these lower cost ones) are made by Synta (who also make Skywatcher stuff). The Celestron CG3 seems to be equivilent to a SW EQ2, the CG4 is equivilent to an SW EQ3-2 and the CG4 is very similar to the EQ5. I think the Celestron equivilents might have slightly better bearings and the CG5 comes with 2" diameter steel legs wheras the EQ5 has 1.5" legs as standard.

John

Thank you for the information. I've just discovered that CG mean Celestron German (EM).

I own a Celestron CG3, and to me the CG3 looks more like a SW EQ2. The CG3 has no option for a polar scope, and the DEC-axis is a push-pull sort of thing.

I'd like to put a RA motor on the mount, but not the 'Economy' version. I'd rather have the 'hand-controller' type like this one. I wonder if the gearing would be the same? Should I be able to use a Sky-Watcher motor on a Celestron mount?

Archived