Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1.5x / 2x Barlow

http://www.telescope-service.com/eyepieces/start/eyepiecesstart.html#tsb2x

This is kinda cute. It at least quantifies the magnification of a Barlow used this way. If I had known this earlier on, I wouldn't have spent time fruitlessly looking for an affordable 1.5x Barlow. Guess I'll save my money by not buying their Barlow, either.

I know that's true for my SCT, but it's not exactly 3X, it's some function of the distance between the barlow and the field stop of the eyepiece used. This distance is constant as long as your diagonal doesn't shift, but 3X is generally close enough.

I tried screwing the optical element of the Barlow into the nether end of my X-Cel, with negligible result, probably because the X-Cel is already Barlowed, and the lower glass element of the X-Cel is very close to the bottom of the tube. Makes me wonder if I'm getting 2x when I use the Barlow normally with that ep, although logic tells me I am.

Archived