Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

URGENT Focuser wiring help

drummerp

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have a circuit worked already, don't buy the L293D. I was hoping to find a ready made circuit on the web but I never pursued it because I'm happy with the rotary switch solution for now.

Biggest problem I have with the stock celestron one is there is so much inertia in the gearbox that you overshoot the focus point...

I tend to use adjustable voltage regulators LM317 easy to use is a cheap option... going to make some minor mods to mine tomorrow..

I fancy making a stepper motor based one and control it using a pic microcontroller...

Dont know why i didnt think of the mod before...

Problem with the adjustable voltage regulators is they go to a minimum of 1.25V so I just added 2x 1N4001's in series with the positive output before it goes into the reversing switch... slow is now 1 rev in 60s.... which should make the fine focusing a lot easier...

and at that speed the "overun" caused by the mechanics in the gearbox will be almost non existent...

Neil, I think your problem is that DC motors dont liek running very slowly which is why a reduction gearbox helps a lot...as well as acting as a torque multiplier.

Peter...

Archived