Reusing sharp OSC data as LUM?

Hello,

I have 3 hours worth of sharp data on Stephans Quintet and I'm wondering, if I can add "blurry" data to the sharp one the same way as if I added LUM to RGB on a monochrome camera? Basically extract LUM from the sharp data and LRGB combine in PIX with RGB channels from the blurry data to keep the detail and add integration time.

Thanks in advance!

Matija

The way I understand it no, you won't get any benefit. Luminence when taken in mono is about more than detail, it's how bright an object is and when added to a colour value gives a "true" representation of how the object looks in terms of luminosity.

Using RGB data and adding it to RGB data is not the same thing.

Sure you could do that, like you said just extract the Luminance with PI and do an LRGB combination with the blurry data as RGB. However, integration time still matters (especially for luminance - a big deal) so you may not get the result you wanted. But do try it out, if the blurry data is really bad then you might win with this method using the 3 hours of good data as luminance. But i have a suspicion that the trick is not worth it since luminance at this point is only 3 hours so very short for the target.

Have done this a couple of times, although i am not sure if it actually had a noticeable effect. In Lunar imaging i do this all the time, extract the sharpest channel which is usually red and then use that as luminance for the combined RGB image. Bit of a cheat since its not really a real colour image at this point, but lunar RGB is a bit of a voodoo science anyway so im not too worried about that.

4 hours ago, matija said:

Hello,

I have 3 hours worth of sharp data on Stephans Quintet and I'm wondering, if I can add "blurry" data to the sharp one the same way as if I added LUM to RGB on a monochrome camera? Basically extract LUM from the sharp data and LRGB combine in PIX with RGB channels from the blurry data to keep the detail and add integration time.

Thanks in advance!

Matija

Basically it will not add integration time, but it will sharpen the data… it’s a common practice..👍🏻