Az gti or asi air plus

I've never had a problem with my azgti misbehaving or my asiair plus, but tonight I did my polar aligning and put in vega for the goto to take me there and it went in the opposite direction. I put it into the home position and it went to some random position. I have used the same equipment and done the same procedure as I normally do and have never had this problem before. I checked the location setting and it had the time set as an hour earlier. I don't know if it has always been like this or if it's a glitch? It says to turn off dst on hand controller but I don't have one. Does anybody know what has suddenly happened to my set up and how to rectify it?

Thanks.

Reset your home postion if it's decided to change it by itself. Goto > home if it stops in a decent position without it hitting anything, if it does look like it will hit stop the slew. Unlock both Ra and Dec clutches then physically move the setup back to home position. Repeat, it'll move less out of position now. Repeat the physical setup. Repeat, it should now not move if you've set it to home and told it to go home. Goto a point in the sky, plate solve, then sync to mount. Should be okay now.

It happens to me sometimes, doesn't matter what mount I'm using or which air. Don't know what causes it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Hi, what are you using to power the az-gti? 

At the moment I'm observing from home so it's plugged into the mains.

What is home position? I guess it's true north because normally once I've done the polar alignment I send it home and it seems to point just left of polaris. Last night the telescope went upside down and ended up pointing east. It's a good job I unplugged the camera or the cable would of hit the pillar. I set up in a different position than normal so I could view over the house but that couldn't send it awol could it?

14 hours ago, ckp82 said:

I've never had a problem with my azgti misbehaving or my asiair plus, but tonight I did my polar aligning and put in vega for the goto to take me there and it went in the opposite direction. I put it into the home position and it went to some random position. I have used the same equipment and done the same procedure as I normally do and have never had this problem before. I checked the location setting and it had the time set as an hour earlier. I don't know if it has always been like this or if it's a glitch? It says to turn off dst on hand controller but I don't have one. Does anybody know what has suddenly happened to my set up and how to rectify it?

Thanks.

I must admit that my ASIair Plus v.1 also behaves stupidly after the recent series of upgrades by ZWO. The most recent upgrade seems much more reliable than the previous ones. I'm an experienced ASIair user, I used it with a Celestron CGX earlier, also with my ATM EQ fork mount and with SW EQ5 OnStep mod - it was OK before the upgrades. Now the setup goes somewhere towards the ground instead of the Home position or the selected DSO position after a meridian flip. Again, nothing changed in my setup. It can work properly twice, but it is wrong straight after. I noticed that the app won't work without a mobile GPS feature run, so we can exclude that the ASIair doesn't know its location.

I try to live with that patiently waiting for a solution.

• Like 1

I used to get it frequently with my pro with the firmware which came after v1.9 of the app. So since then until recently I had been using a v1.9 beta version of the app and the associated firmwares with that app version which loads the contained firmware onto the airs. Whenever it's happened to me, it's usually when it fails to plate solve on target within four attempts, it suddenly decides on its own alignment and home position which usually means kamikaziing toward the ground.

Moving your scope somewhere else in your usual use site doesn't matter as long as the PA is correct and the home position is scope on top of and in line with mount pointing towards Polaris (or whichever hemisphere pole), a different site completely your location details need to be correct, if it's reading from a phone GPS that's fine, a hand controller would need to be set to the correct physical location and time, preferably in UTC format (no daylight savings, this has more to do with auto meridian flipping).

• Like 1

Last night I uninstalled the asiair app and reinstalled it. I also pressed down the reset button on the asiair plus.

This morning I went outside and polar aligned before putting it into home position without a problem. From there I went to Deneb and then onto capella, both were centered on the screen. Hopefully this has cured it.

• Like 2

Note the reset button simply restarts the air. If you're having software issues with the unit you need to roll back the firmware via the app, think it's under one of the upper tabs, either the first or last one. Doing this will revert the air back to factory firmware. BUT, the firmwares are contained within the app version you're using so once you connect again to the air via the app, the contained firmware within the app will want to install onto the air and you have to do it you cannot opt out. It's problematic if a released firmware has issues because zwo do not store previous app versions on their sites for people to download, it's one of the reasons I download them upon each release and keep them so I have the option to install an older air firmware version.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

@Elp I did wonder what the reset did as I noticed the firmware hadn't changed or any photos deleted. Hopefully, it was just throwing a wobbly. If it happens again at least I can try manually moving to the home position and follow your steps from a previous post and not press the reset button  😆