Starfield flattener issue

Hell all,

New scope, new issues. Trying to thread the Starfield 0.8 adjustable flattener into the Starfield 102 scope and I cannot figure it out, I've loosened the axil lock with the three grub screws

Screenshot_20240810-172102.png.c443fcc43f23f9fe114b2fce1b718ac4.png

But I can see how this shows a thread into anything really (left hand side is scope side and right hand is camera side)

PXL_20240810_162317705.thumb.jpg.a39ad5bd8a1288be52b1d731ed7e46e5.jpg

im missing something simple but I don't know what it is, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Screenshot_20240810-172508.png

You don't loosen any screws with a flattener, they either screw into your focuser or they fit within a 2 inch visual back or whatever size they're made for.

Both 0.8x on FLO state they have an M63 male thread for the scope side. You may have to remove any visual backs for 1.25/2 inch accessories to find the female thread on the focuser. You can measure the thread size diameter near enough with a ruler.

Edited by Elp

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Elp said:

You don't loosen any screws with a flattener, they either screw into your focuser or they fit within a 2 inch visual back or whatever size they're made for.

Both 0.8x on FLO state they have an M63 male thread for the scope side. You may have to remove any visual backs for 1.25/2 inch accessories to find the female thread on the focuser. You can measure the thread size diameter near enough with a ruler.

Hi,

This is from the FLO website

The reducer attaches directly to the StarField 102mm telescope focuser by removing the Axil lock. Using the supplied 1.5mm Allen key, loosen off the three screws a half turn and then unscrew the lock. Thread the reducer onto the focuser.   

And this matches with the response I had from FLO

Screenshot_20240810-194617.thumb.png.957747c6a6a681a91d4078fb56038303.png

Maybe I'll just have to wait until Monday when they are back in but wondered if any else knew.

Thanks

Adam

Edited by smashing

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

Does that piece with the three grub screws screw off once you've removed the grub screws? Flo's instruction states to remove it.

Blue bit is the thing that is released when the grubs are loosened...red bit is scope side but cannot see how anything showed that would just thread into the scope 

Screenshot_20240810-2001472.png.8b92214cf5eae7d2defcb7baacede585.png

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

I'm betting there's a male thread underneath that bit that's still attached on the red section, does it unscrew at all?

This was also my assumption as well but I've tried to see if it unscrews with no luck 

I had a similar issue. I emailed FLO and felt somewhat silly after realising I was trying the wrong screws.

See below extract from an email i had from FLO

IMG_1520.thumb.jpeg.62b23408076c55b6f4b025a3238b7f26.jpeg

HTH

Edited by WolfieGlos

2 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

I had a similar issue. I emailed FLO and felt somewhat silly after realising I was trying the wrong screws.

See below extract from an email i had from FLO

IMG_1520.thumb.jpeg.62b23408076c55b6f4b025a3238b7f26.jpeg

HTH

Yep I've done that to get the thread for scope side but the flattener won't screw into it as it stands and FLO mentioned the need to unscrew elements of the FF as well.

Do you have the adjustable 0.8 reducer?

When I fitted clicklocks to the Starfield which were M63 I unscrewed the entire Axil lock which exposes the M63 thread. The entire Axil lock needs to be removed.

Edited by bosun21

5 minutes ago, smashing said:

Yep I've done that to get the thread for scope side but the flattener won't screw into it as it stands and FLO mentioned the need to unscrew elements of the FF as well.

Do you have the adjustable 0.8 reducer?

Yes I do, and I don’t recall having to take anything off of the flattener to make it fit.

From the last picture in your OP it appears you still have the end of the Axil lock on, so that’s why I suggested it 😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Yes I do, and I don’t recall having to take anything off of the flattener to make it fit.

From the last picture in your OP it appears you still have the end of the Axil lock on, so that’s why I suggested it 😊

And we have a winner!

Some instructions need updating on this I think.

It's essentially 3 grub screws on the axil lock on the focuser first, unscrew that first element and then using a small flat head screwdriver loosen up the three screws remaining inside and totally unscrew so the bit below is removed....then screw the field flattener directly in..DO NOT remove anything from the FF itself 

PXL_20240810_1624063652.thumb.jpg.a3f65daa820628ed3f816e7f291c5cf2.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, smashing said:

And we have a winner!

Some instructions need updating on this I think.

It's essentially 3 grub screws on the axil lock on the focuser first, unscrew that first element and then using a small flat head screwdriver loosen up the three screws remaining inside and totally unscrew so the bit below is removed....then screw the field flattener directly in..DO NOT remove anything from the FF itself 

PXL_20240810_1624063652.thumb.jpg.a3f65daa820628ed3f816e7f291c5cf2.jpg

Same error that I made too 😊 I felt really stupid when I realised so glad I could help 👍

• Like 1

The focuser on my SF102 is very much different...but I use 2 inch flattener/reducers with it so it works okay.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1