NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

wiring run from scope down to mount

hopefully this will be solved if/when i manage to get a tiny pc on my scope, but i'm wondering, once i have all the wires from my scope etc wired together in one bunch, where i should run that down to my mount and how to leave that bunch of cables loose enough so that it doesn't tighen around the dec/saddle when scope is near its limits (ie where phd2 says is ideal for guiding calibration, south and near horizon).

im using velcro at the moment and its great for some stuff, but not this, mainly because sw sa gti mount head isn't very large and not many flat surfaces on it to attach to. i do have a jumbo variety pack of assorted cable tidy things winging its way to me from china atm :) which includes some stick pad cable holders.

i did see a video for a 'wire guard' like a big hoop of plastic can attach to mount and it stops wires getting too close which is a nice idea but it was mount specific and doubt i could construct such a thing for my mount. don't really want to either :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

If this is simply a temporary need, something like spiral wrap would solve the issue until you get your tiny / mini PC and power hub. I have used this to tidy all my assorted connecting wires from guide camera, main camera, electronic focuser, mount, ASiAir Mini and a dew heater with just two cables running beyond the mount (12V Input and Dew Heater USB from the Beaudens power pacxk). I left a decent loop so the mount can swing fully without pulling the cables too tight. There's less than 3m in the picture - PM me if you want a similar length popped in the post.22Portable22Rig.thumb.jpg.1ae34257cfef25edfb5805e1d74f5881.jpg

• Like 2

Ty very much for the photo and the kind offer but I have two different types of cable wrap arriving in my variety bucket. One looks very much like yours.

I don't see this loop you mention in photo. Cable looks pretty tight to the base of your mount? If I do that and slew south to the equator it wraps around my Dec

really not looking forward to wrapping it around my convoluted wiring, but it is hopefully only temp until I get a mini pc on there. Will still have to deal with two dew heaters until I get a power box, but I might be able to split my power supply in 3.

Looks dry enough to set up for tonight now, will have another play in daylight

Also, that's a nice looking setup. Obviously matching red doesn't give as good images as having items and cables of completely different colours, as is my dream :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Get a mini PC and Pegasus power hub on the mount, then just run one power cable to the hub and that’s it….all else will come from the Pegasus and the PC to your kit…

Sort of my plan but probably a wonder box from my new best friend Ali.

£80. Sadly only in red ;(

• Like 1

You could make your own power box like I have. I use a small junction box and sockets etc. from flea bay. The boxes have 4 12v outputs, 4 USB charging sockets and 2 pwm outputs for dew heaters. Total cost is about £50 and a couple of hours work. This sits under my mini PC. Not quite as neat as the Pegasus but way cheaper.

Edited by Clarkey

14 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I don't see this loop you mention in photo. Cable looks pretty tight to the base of your mount? If I do that and slew south to the equator it wraps around my Dec

Also, that's a nice looking setup. Obviously matching red doesn't give as good images as having items and cables of completely different colours, as is my dream :)

The loop is long enough to cope as long as the mount is set to do a Meridian Flip.

Sadly ZWO doesn't provide cables to match the shade of metallic red that they use to coat their hardware - that's almost enough to put of potential purchasers 🤣 but thanks for the compliment anyway. Of course "I am but a poor boy (and my story's seldom told), I have squandered ..." - with apologies to Simon & Garfunkel - lots of savings in the direction of FLO to buy that StellaMira refractor set-up as it is and a WO RedCat would have resulted in certain bits of me being cut off and thrown to the circling vultures!

• Like 1