0 stars found Deep Sky Stacker

imagem_2024-07-18_001120652.thumb.png.c65eba61ff0943da9afe2dbaddc70f66.pngI took some pics of the lagoon nebula. I used my smartphone to take the pics, using the DeepSkyCamera app. I then brought the pics from my phone to the PC, converted the files from .dng to .fit using Sirl and brought the files to Deep Sky Stacker. When trying to register the frames, it counts 0 stars, so i just can't stack my frames. I've seen some info saying that it could be happening because of the shape of the stars, but at such low threshold, i think it should even be counting noise, hot pixels, etc.

Edited by Braganca

What telescope or camera lens?, What length of exposure? What format was the capture ie RAW? Were you focused? The astrophotography members are helpful but will need more information and details than you provided.

Edited by bosun21

2 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

What telescope or camera lens?, What length of exposure? What format was the capture ie RAW? Where you focused? The astrophotography members are helpful but will need more information and details than you provided.

I used a 130mm reflector, 650mm focal length. The photos were 1.3s of exposure at 3200 ISO. The format of the files are .dng. I don't know if i was in perfect focus to be honest. I am almost buying the bartinov mask. Besides it, the telescope is not 100% collimated (i don't know how to collimate it further more, i'll problably make a new topic about this some other time). But i tried to make the stars as round as possible. 

• Braganca changed the title to Frames being previewed as black on Deep Sky Stacker

Most phones don't output proper RAW file format (not the same type as most bodies cameras, you may have to convert them first), if you've read the DSS help files you'd see:

Loading a picture

DeepSkyStacker can load DSImage images (created only after the stacking process), TIFF images (8, 16 and 32 bit, gray levels or RGB) or FITS images (8, 16, 32 and 64 bit, gray levels or RGB).

Also if your stars aren't round/roundish (not coma'd), DSS won't pick up on them.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Elp said:

Most phones don't output proper RAW file format (not the same type as most bodies cameras, you may have to convert them first), if you've read the DSS help files you'd see:

Loading a picture

DeepSkyStacker can load DSImage images (created only after the stacking process), TIFF images (8, 16 and 32 bit, gray levels or RGB) or FITS images (8, 16, 32 and 64 bit, gray levels or RGB).

Also if your stars aren't round/roundish (not coma'd), DSS won't pick up on them.

Yes, I've read something about that last night. I used siril to convert the .dng to .tif files so I can use them. Still not got a chance to stack the new .tif files but I'll try to do it today. Thanks for replying!

Edited by Braganca

19 hours ago, Braganca said:

when trying to preview some frame, i just get a black screen.

Also, when trying to register the frames, it counts 0 stars,

dng is a common format so I was surprised enough that I google dss and dng

This page http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/download.htm from the dss site says you can use dng, so your problem will (perhaps!) be elsewhere ?? 
It says "Alternatively you can convert your RAW files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG Converter available here before feeding them to DSS."

Two other areas to look into is that there should be a slider available in the registering area to adjust the sensitivity to star detection threshold (in my older dss v18)  it is in Register Checked Pictures > Register Settings > Advanced > Compute the number of detected stars

and: if your dng does load and looks black when selected in the preview you may find (in my version top right of the screen) a black-to-white gradient little image with sliders to select black point, white point, and mids.

hth.

57 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

load and looks black when selected in the preview you may find (in my version top right of the screen) a black-to-white gradient little image with sliders to select black point, white point, and mids.

1.jpg.b2a6de048612ad78018198eaa5a7ff72.jpg

10 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

1.jpg.b2a6de048612ad78018198eaa5a7ff72.jpg

So, I converted the dng to fits on Siril, now i can preview them at DSS, but the program still doesnt recognize any stars, even at the lowest threshold, as seen here (box floating left of the image): imagem_2024-07-18_001120652.thumb.png.8da7f122975fc59821210095ad6a274b.png
I've seen that this may be happening because of the shape of my stars but at such lowest threshold i think that it should even be counting noise, hot pixels, etc.

• Braganca changed the title to 0 stars found Deep Sky Stacker

It is possible in DSS to manually mark where each star is and save it, using the red star on the little right hand side menu above the green comet. I've used this when not enough stars have been found.

Again reading DSS documentation (have you looked at it?):

If you have set the detection threshold low and DeepSkyStacker is still not finding enough stars because the image is underexposed, you can increase the image brightness by using the "Brightness" adjustment in the Raw/FITS DDP Settings.

It's simple to check your star shapes, mouse hover over them and you'll see an enlarged version in a small preview window in the top left of your image. If they're not round it's not going to work. At the basic level DSS needs to find stars for the registration process.

Siril may work better if your data is poor.

On 18/07/2024 at 04:23, Braganca said:
On 17/07/2024 at 18:14, MalcolmP said:

So, I converted <WHY?> the dng to fits on Siril, now i can preview them at DSS, but the program still doesnt recognize any stars, even at the lowest threshold, as seen here (box floating left of the image): 

I've seen that this may be happening because of the shape of my stars but at such lowest threshold i think that it should even be counting noise, hot pixels, etc.

I thought your original post (now edited) said your pics were too dark to see anything !
The good news is that yes that looks like where M8 should be :)  and my DSS can see lots of "stars",
The bad news is that ASTAP can't plate solve it either, even though the star shapes look ok,** but it isn't a fair test, prob getting confused by all the excess pixels.
I think, to save us trying to guess what you are doing wrong, is to attach some of your original dng and converted <WHY?> tiff files and perhaps someone will see the prob. 

** DSS can handle much worse  in my trailed images !

b3.thumb.jpg.ae4d612bed03a85f2d0e5c2eb59a8075.jpg

Edited by MalcolmP