NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun sketch of July 14, 2024.

Gonariu

I started to see and draw the sun on the morning of July 14, 2024 (that is, yesterday) between 7.57 and 8.54 UT, the sun is still putting on a show. The problem with this observation session was the strong heat which was already at 30oC just before 10am local time (i.e. 8am UT) but it was worth it!
Observation data:
1) optics: Konus Vista-80 (80/400 achromatic);
2) use of the Herschel prism equipped with: KG3 UV-IR cut filter, ND3.0 filter with green interference treatment with peak between 510 nm and 550 nm, circular polarizer. The seeing was good;
3) magnification: X50;
4) observation site: terrace of the house in Orotelli, central Sardinia.

Sole 14 Luglio 2024.jpg

• Like 11

So busy and so cool! Really neat sketch.

PS I hope you'll soon get some rest from the heat, I know yesterday it was 41℃ in Cagliari 😅

Thanks @SwiMatt. 41o in Cagliari, with the humidity of the sea, they must be absurd; I can tell you that in July '83 it was 43.6o and it was literally an oven!

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Gonariu said:

Thanks @SwiMatt. 41o in Cagliari, with the humidity of the sea, they must be absurd; I can tell you that in July '83 it was 43.6o and it was literally an oven!

@Gonariu Hi, I remember a couple of years back, we had here in Liverpool, England, the hottest day in UK history, at around 40.3 degrees Celsius, and it was literally like being cooked alive! It was terrible! In fact I could not even use my big fan to cool me down because the air it was blowing on me was too hot! Like a fan oven effect! haha!

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Gonariu said:

Yeah, the friend who told me this was not very happy... 

Edited by SwiMatt
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Gonariu said:

I started to see and draw the sun on the morning of July 14, 2024 (that is, yesterday) between 7.57 and 8.54 UT, the sun is still putting on a show. The problem with this observation session was the strong heat which was already at 30oC just before 10am local time (i.e. 8am UT) but it was worth it!
Observation data:
1) optics: Konus Vista-80 (80/400 achromatic);
2) use of the Herschel prism equipped with: KG3 UV-IR cut filter, ND3.0 filter with green interference treatment with peak between 510 nm and 550 nm, circular polarizer. The seeing was good;
3) magnification: X50;
4) observation site: terrace of the house in Orotelli, central Sardinia.

Sole 14 Luglio 2024.jpg

@Gonariu beautiful sketch my friend! I believe our Sun is entering it's 11 year active cycle! So plenty more opportunity for sketching my friend! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@Gonariu Hi, I remember a couple of years back, we had here in Liverpool, England, the hottest day in UK history, at around 40.3 degrees Celsius, and it was literally like being cooked alive! It was terrible! In fact I could not even use my big fan to cool me down because the air it was blowing on me was too hot! Like a fan oven effect! haha!

In fact 40o in the UK is downright exceptional.

4 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@Gonariu bellissimo schizzo amico mio! Credo che il nostro Sole stia entrando nel suo ciclo attivo di 11 anni! Quindi tante altre opportunità per disegnare amico mio! 

Thanks; the sun in these months is spectacular! In May some of my students saw the Northern Lights (very rare here in Sardinia) caused by a large flare a few days earlier and associated with a large group of spots; Let's hope this happens again!