NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

For weeks I've been saving for a berlebach uni 18.

The best views are from one of the fields next to my house, is there any disadvantages of just using a wooden post 

There are a few members who have used wooden post type piers. I think where they have done it the post has been a fairly substantial cross section and sunk solidly into concrete. Being a  material that will take up moisture it would of course not be completely dimensionally stable. I suspect however over the course of a nights observing/imaging this may not be too critical. My advice would be give it a go and see what happens if it gives you time to continue saving for the berlebach then all is good. 

ps - here a link to a thread on CN with an example of a wooden pier (scroll down) 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/325362-is-wood-suitable-for-a-pier/

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

Hello, there is better than wood, although one can enclose the pier in wood. (redwood)

Anyway a cast iron pipe, dig the hole couple feet or three or four, then place the cast iron pipe  (vertical) of 6 or 8" in diameter, then fill the hole with cement AND the pipe as well! One can then place wooden boards around the pipe/pier. Oh! I talked myself to do it!  ;- )

• Like 1

What mount and scope would it be carrying, you list a 12" Skywatcher ?

For Visual a wood pole is fine.

Rest it on a flagstone at the bottom of the pit and surround the post with pea gravel.

This will give you a very secure fixing that will drain well.

Surrounding with concrete leads to rot.

I use four 4"x4" posts bolted together and sunk like this for imaging with a LX200GPS.

Michael

• Like 1