Umi 17/R from China ebay, should I risk it?

Prices sloowly descending from the heavens I started thinkering about moving all my activities on a strain wave mount. Still, budget is an issue, can't afford to pull the first ££££+ unit from the shelf. The capacity i am aiming long term is a deforked 10" LX200 sct (approx 14kg) with counterweight or a Quattro 150p without counterweight, both for DSO astrophotography.

The AM3 is out, the AM5 is getting ££ heavy. The only affordable (<<£2k) mount I found here is the HEM27. However, the iOptron HEM's are just half-strain wave mounts. Ebay does a bit better, the Umi 17 is cheaper even calulating with 20% for the tax man. However, if the Umi develops a fault, any warranty proceedings should go to China, trough two customs...

Loads of questions, to name a few: Is it a significant drawback if only the RA axis is on strain wave, dec is classic?

I was wondering, how risky is to go with a UMi 17 directly imported from China? How does a warranty return looks like in this case?

Also, how does the customs work, because apparently ebay doesn't process "high value" VAT's?

You likely already know the import process. Pay for item, item ships, if vendor hasn't charged 20pc VAT at checkout (which they should post Brexit) once item enters country another courier picks it up, you pay them the 20pc VAT (on item value AND shipping cost), import duties and a small handling fee, then they deliver to you.

As far as I know warranty repairs are zero rated and should not incur any import/export charges as any attached invoices will also be zero rated. Out of warranty repairs are different as they're chargeable services.

• Like 1

Haven't had a declination issue with my hem15 other than having to balance the load (ie simply moving the dovetail forward or back, helps if it's a decent length dovetail and you mount the scope according to application in the first place, IE for imaging my refractors are towards the front of the dovetails).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Many thanks! I am leaning towards this little mount, big punch in a compact, carryon compatible package. The company had more than one iterations before.

7 hours ago, Bivanus said:

I can only wish you good luck and attach the following thread from CN maybe it will help: New UMi 17 R Users Group - Mounts - Cloudy Nights 

Given the allowance I think I only went trough it more than a decade ago, that time the courier invoiced me the VAT and a processing fee that was almost as much as the vat :D.
The previous two UMi models were well received AFAIK, I am leaning towards the 17R

7 hours ago, Elp said:

You likely already know the import process. Pay for item, item ships, if vendor hasn't charged 20pc VAT at checkout (which they should post Brexit) once item enters country another courier picks it up, you pay them the 20pc VAT (on item value AND shipping cost), import duties and a small handling fee, then they deliver to you.

As far as I know warranty repairs are zero rated and should not incur any import/export charges as any attached invoices will also be zero rated. Out of warranty repairs are different as they're chargeable services.

My Umi17R arrived a few days ago, ordered directly from Proxisky/discord and I have it setup out side now hoping for clear skies tonight to get a test run in, iron out any issues. Everything has been connected up via NINA and seems to be working nicely so far. It's a beautiful little mount. I'm gonna create a new thread soon to hopefully explain my journey with the mount.

Picture for interest...

20240706_202313.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

My Umi17R arrived a few days ago, ordered directly from Proxisky/discord and I have it setup out side now hoping for clear skies tonight to get a test run in, iron out any issues. Everything has been connected up via NINA and seems to be working nicely so far. It's a beautiful little mount. I'm gonna create a new thread soon to hopefully explain my journey with the mount.

Picture for interest...

20240706_202313.jpg

Keen to see how you get on with it. 

Just now, TiffsAndAstro said:

Keen to see how you get on with it. 

I've just uploaded a post on it. I'll try and keep it updated with my thoughts as and when the skies allow :)

• Like 1