Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Living with the Solarmax 60 II

Well it’s got foibles . There’s the unlovable sliding focuser tube held by two plastic screws. Hmm takes a bit of getting used to . The helical focuser is ok , but seems to be 1:20. 
Arrived in a delicious black case , going to be fun taking that though the airport.

The etalon adjustment is dead easy going from zero to a light touch of pressure as the plates are moved . Don’t overdo it . I marked a small pencil line of excellent position . 

The supplied 18mm Coronado ep gives a stunning view . At higher mags there is unexpected softness to the views . There is also a band of excellence which without solar tracking crosses the disc.
After closing the aperture, err , BLOWN away . 
I was for years using a 35mm Lunt and loved the views . But , here’s the bang for bucks ! 
Compare looking at a tennis ball with a football . With a 13mm ep , the view fills the field with dark filaments , the chromospheric net , bright spots and oh those proms ! That’s what you pay for !

I’m just and observer , the dark art is beyond me . If you love solar and a simple manual tuning , go Solarmax!

clearer skies ! Nick5C08C323-9476-46A6-8D9C-B7F9E48AAC3F.thumb.jpeg.3b65b6db5e38dbd0a03273847e93e2b0.jpeg

Edited by C6rrules
  • Like 8