Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wray 8x30 Repair

Been wanting to try out these old bins but they're cloudy even when the skies are clear. 

Trying to dismantle the eyepieces to remove the haze as best I can, but I'm stumped as to how they come apart. 

They don't unscrew from the front and the metal ring inside the barrel doesn't have anything to get a lens tool on to unscrew. 

Has anyone got any ideas how to get the lenses out? 

Thanks in advance! 

Chris.

PXL_20240610_165501505.jpg

PXL_20240610_162046848.jpg

PXL_20240610_162010366.jpg

PXL_20240610_162029707.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hoody said:

Been wanting to try out these old bins but they're cloudy even when the skies are clear. 

Trying to dismantle the eyepieces to remove the haze as best I can, but I'm stumped as to how they come apart. 

They don't unscrew from the front and the metal ring inside the barrel doesn't have anything to get a lens tool on to unscrew. 

Has anyone got any ideas how to get the lenses out? 

Thanks in advance! 

Chris.

PXL_20240610_165501505.jpg

PXL_20240610_162046848.jpg

PXL_20240610_162010366.jpg

PXL_20240610_162029707.jpg

Some time ago I dismantled a pair of 35mm binos just for the parts, like yours there we're no slots, I first covered the lens with masking tape then  cut slots with a small hacksaw.i then used a strip of thin steel to unscrew the rings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albir phil said:

Some time ago I dismantled a pair of 35mm binos just for the parts, like yours there we're no slots, I first covered the lens with masking tape then  cut slots with a small hacksaw.i then used a strip of thin steel to unscrew the rings.

The intention is to do this non-destructively so they can be reassembled and used as normal. 

11 hours ago, Hoody said:

The intention is to do this non-destructively so they can be reassembled and used as normal. 

The only change you will make is the slots then you can clean the lens and reassemble them.When I said I took mine apart for the parts there was no damage done and I could have reassembled them if I needed to .

14 hours ago, Albir phil said:

The only change you will make is the slots then you can clean the lens and reassemble them.When I said I took mine apart for the parts there was no damage done and I could have reassembled them if I needed to .

I'm not sure where you mean to make the slots. From what I can see it's the recessed dark metal ring holding the optics in from the back of the eyepiece, but I could be wrong. Was thinking possibly a rubber bung cut to the right size might get it out. 

4 hours ago, Hoody said:

I'm not sure where you mean to make the slots. From what I can see it's the recessed dark metal ring holding the optics in from the back of the eyepiece, but I could be wrong. Was thinking possibly a rubber bung cut to the right size might get it out. 

I see what you mean, not easy to get at.your idea is on the right track but it will have to be a very tight fit . Now as I was in engineering I would ( think this may alarm you) drill two small holes with a Dremel pur a rivet in each ,a bar between them to unscrew the ring, but that is only what I would try if I was determined to clean the optics🤞🤔

As you seem to be able to access both sides of the glass, try using isopropyl with some cotton buds to clean them. No destructive force required then.

I’ve taken a few binos apart for using the optics as eyepieces, the only annoying thing was the grease used around the ocular barrels, stuck like sh** to a blanket!

chaz