NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HCG 68, NGC 5371 and PGC 49480

This is some historic Esprit 150/QHY268c data embellished (if that's the right word) with 5 hrs of Nautical Darkness data captured on Saturday night to give about 10 hrs overall. The framing is a little off but it does put PGC 49480 centre stage. This galaxy has two very pronounced and symmetrical spiral arms, making it look almost like Saturn in the wider image. It is described as a "little cutie" in an Ice in Space thread, not sure how a galaxy can be cute, but I see what they are getting at. 

Thanks for looking.

Image03.thumb.jpg.050caf8edf445b6621f426a4dafd5364.jpg

Annotated

Image03_Annotated.thumb.jpg.478689f151b57c46038f4ddd58739b25.jpg

• Like 10

I imaged that area last year, but the data was stuffed up by the uncorrectable reflections from OOUK's rubbish (Being polite) anodising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

I imaged that area last year, but the data was stuffed up by the uncorrectable reflections from OOUK's rubbish (Being polite) anodising.

Doesn’t sound good, what was the problem, I’m assuming it had a reflective rather than a matte finish?

Nope, it was a total disaster, resulting in over 2 years of wasted imaging. The OOUK anodising was highly reflective despite being "black", it was thanks to Oddsocks here that the source of all my problems was located. A thorough treatment with Black 3.0 has cured the issue.

But I'm still dischuffed with OOUK, an ODK 12 isn't a cheap telescope.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Nope, it was a total disaster, resulting in over 2 years of wasted imaging. The OOUK anodising was highly reflective despite being "black", it was thanks to Oddsocks here that the source of all my problems was located. A thorough treatment with Black 3.0 has cured the issue.

But I'm still dischuffed with OOUK, an ODK 12 isn't a cheap telescope.

I'm always amazed how bright "black" surfaces look on my security camera's images. Anodised aluminium surfaces can be very reflective (in IR at least).