Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have I found a second Soap Bubble nebula????

Posted (edited)

Imaging NGC6888 and surrounds this morning and whist processing I've come across what (to ME) appears to be another bubble not far from 'the other' bubble. It's not visible with stars in place but as soon as I removed the stars and started to process the background nrebulosity bsearately there was this faint second sphere...

?

NGC6888+Bubble-1+Bubble-2_Anno.png

NGC6888_Combo(1).png

Edited by fwm891
Title changed
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

It's called a Soap Bubble. I also caught it accidentally while imaging the Crescent (not finished yet). I found out about it from a similar forum in Poland and indeed, I found it in my data. :) 

Congratulations, your one is explicit. 👍

Edited by Vroobel

• fwm891 changed the title to Have I found a second Soap Bubble nebula????
Just now, fwm891 said:

Drat!!! Just been blinking the image back-n-forth I think its a remnat of the bright star's halo..... 😒

Beat me to it! I've just been scanning my image from last year and the IKO competition data from Christmas time, and I can't see it - other than the star halo.

Then again, could it be a soap bubble beyond that's been overpowered by the star? Did you try star removal during linear?

3 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Drat!!! Just been blinking the image back-n-forth I think its a remnat of the bright star's halo..... 😒

I think that is most likely explanation, although - it did seem like genuine find in the first instance.