NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

m13 with a Quattro-150, The saga of...

Quattro 150?

Finally, a sample which worked - a French import. I say worked, but Quattro and other low end SkyWatcher owners will tell you that worked  in this sense is relative. This one needed just a couple of hours of hacking to bring it close to imaging standard, but at least the mirrors were OK. Two others -one German and one UK import-  were just... Just no. Maybe we were unlucky, but this isn't our first time with sw qc.

Anyone else?
Cheers, clear skies and thanks for looking.

siril 1.3a, st 1.9.570: 32 x 2min
2-13copy_01.thumb.jpg.bbe903424c72ff7a02dea3d711ba734c.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, alacant said:

Quattro 150?

Finally, a sample which worked - a French import. I say worked, but Quattro and other low end SkyWatcher owners will tell you that worked  in this sense is relative. This one needed just a couple of hours of hacking to bring it close to imaging standard, but at least the mirrors were OK. Two others -one German and one UK import-  were just... Just no. Maybe we were unlucky, but this isn't our first time with sw qc.

Anyone else?
Cheers, clear skies and thanks for looking.

siril 1.3a, st 1.9.570: 32 x 2min
2-13copy_01.thumb.jpg.bbe903424c72ff7a02dea3d711ba734c.jpg

Sky watcher have  QC?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, alacant said:

No. Sorry. My bad. Of course not!

"Non premium" telescope ;)

If I bought a big Mac and found half a cockroach in it after eating some, I'd be a tad upset if the complaint response was "well sir didn't buy a premium burger".

Even lower priced gear deserves to have a QC checklist of more than "is there a tube?"  

Maybe sw thought process is the gear is so cheap to make, just another one out and take the hit.

Also I don't think sw are alone in this regard. So much gear seems fairly identical but with different coloured anodising bling they must be made in same factories.

And I like coloured anodised stuff a lot :)

2 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Is m13 regarded as something of a gear test target in the community?

I read something about the more stars can be resolved the better the set up?

Good set up yes , but in the end it's down to post processing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

gear test target

If anything, the mount. I'd say tight clusters are more a test of the seeing,  rather than the hardware. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albir phil said:

Good set up yes , but in the end it's down to post processing 

24 minutes ago, alacant said:

If anything, the mount. I'd say tight clusters are more a test of the seeing,  rather than the hardware. 

Cheers 

cheers both, its just i see quite of lot of m13 images taken and i struggle to see the appeal unless it was some sort of standardised test type thing.

3 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

cheers both, its just i see quite of lot of m13 images taken and i struggle to see the appeal unless it was some sort of standardised test type thing.

I consider it more of a test in processing, ie trying to resolve stars and colour without burning the core out as with all globular clusters.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

I consider it more of a test in processing, ie trying to resolve stars and colour without burning the core out as with all globular clusters.

looks really good to me. i read the cluster itself is very hard to resolve, but your star colour is as nice as ive seen anywhere. i would love stars like that in my data/processing.