NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camera dramarama

hello again :)

just looking for some advice. 

https://www.svbony.com/sv705c-color-planetary-camera-imx585/#F9198J-W9184A

seems like a bit of a bargain for the next 3.5 days. camera, filter drawer and a cheap uv/ir cut filter for like £252. maybe + postage and brexit import tax.

its not cooled and probably doesn't have a heatsink like the player one version. but its cheap.

im sure it won't be as good as a tek cooled one from somewhere. but its cheap. this would be a decent upgrade from my dslr and i could get a 1.25" dual narrow band in future when funds allow?

i could maybe manage the heat by doing (for example) 30 second exposures and a 5 or 10 second wait for the next one? (the joy of nina sequences).

im assuming this includes everything i'd need to slap it on the back of my flattener (i've emailed svbony to ask same question but i doubt ill get a good response before the 3.5 days offer expires)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellamira-telescopes/stellamira-2-inch-field-flattener-with-m42-adapter.html?_gl=1*vehb4c*_up*MQ..*_ga*ODgxMDY2OTM2LjE3MTc3NjU3ODA.*_ga_F6VGWQ0MW9*MTcxNzc2NTc3OS4xLjEuMTcxNzc2NTc4OC4wLjAuMA..

also, i'd never need to  use a dual band filter AND the ir/uv cut filter at the same time, right?

cheers in advance. 

24 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i'd never need to  use a dual band filter AND the ir/uv cut filter at the same time, right?

No

For £250 it is worth a punt in my opinion. It is difficult to say how well it will perform - but at worse you would have a good planetary camera.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

No

For £250 it is worth a punt in my opinion. It is difficult to say how well it will perform - but at worse you would have a good planetary camera.

that is my thinking atm. just need to sell one of my livers in the next 3.5 days :)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

hat is my thinking atm. just need to sell one of my livers in the next 3.5 days

Relative's kidneys? I've already sold mine, along with soul to the Devil......

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Relative's kidneys? I've already sold mine, along with soul to the Devil......

i think they pay by the kilogram though, so that rules out my niece and nephews :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

12 minutes ago, Elp said:

There's a 585 for sale on abs ATM I think.

12 minutes ago, Elp said:

There's a 585 for sale on abs ATM I think.

what's abs? so good i quoted you twice :)

Posted (edited)

Astro Buy Sell, make sure it's the UK site and you don't buy from Canada or Australia, unless you want to. Be warned though, hide your wallet.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You have to pay 20pc VAT on it which should be applied at checkout after Brexit if they're a non UK seller, prior it was charged by the courier company once it landed in the UK to pass onto HMRC. You then have import duty to pay as it's over £135 (item+shipping total cost) and the courier company will ask for a nominal handling fee. Add it all together.

Import duty depends on the commodity code or Harmonised Code the exporter applies to the invoice documentation which is mandatory for exporting/importing. The code can be checked on the gov website for the percentage to apply.

Very very rarely do exporters sell items Delivery Duties Paid (DDP) as it's a minefield for them.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Elp said:

Astro Buy Sell, make sure it's the UK site and you don't buy from Canada or Australia, unless you want to. Be warned though, hide your wallet.

think its gone didn't come up in the site search.

bit reluctant to buy used though, especially with the seeming 10% lower than new prices ;)

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

You have to pay 20pc VAT on it which should be applied at checkout after Brexit if they're a non UK seller, prior it was charged by the courier company once it landed in the UK to pass onto HMRC. You then have import duty to pay as it's over £135 (item+shipping total cost) and the courier company will ask for a nominal handling fee. Add it all together.

Import duty depends on the commodity code or Harmonised Code the exporter applies to the invoice documentation which is mandatory for exporting/importing. The code can be checked on the gov website for the percentage to apply.

Very very rarely do exporters sell items Delivery Duties Paid (DDP) as it's a minefield for them.

i think i've seen some aliexpress saying no extra fees (can't remember the term) but i wouldn't trust it. if its sitting in customs waiting an extra charge, who is going to not pay it? :(

3 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

think its gone didn't come up in the site search.

bit reluctant to buy used though, especially with the seeming 10% lower than new prices ;)

It's still on the search listing if you search for ZWO, you'd have to contact them though. Most of my equipment is used, never had an issue with any of it. ABS is not like eBay, it's usually from other astronuts. Though Id understand if the price isn't "right".

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i think i've seen some aliexpress saying no extra fees (can't remember the term) but i wouldn't trust it. if its sitting in customs waiting an extra charge, who is going to not pay it? :(

If they say no extra fees that's normally right. You pay the item price+vat the VAT they add on at checkout. Below £135 into the country you won't pay anything else (obvs check the 135 threshold, it may have changed, and is cheekily so much less than is allowable in the USA).

Also check the sellers what they're selling, reviews, how many sold etc. Svbony have a store on there already I believe.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Elp said:

It's still on the search listing if you search for ZWO, you'd have to contact them though. Most of my equipment is used, never had an issue with any of it. ABS is not like eBay, it's usually from other astronuts. Though Id understand if the price isn't "right".

found it. that's a good deal ty for this.

doh its i thought it was the pro (cooled) version. £30 off for second hand is not worth lack of warranty and possible support :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)

Have a look at some of the Player One planetary cameras, I'm not familiar with their range. But maybe as I said, perhaps consider getting the filter at least for emission nebulae. Save for a cooled camera. Use said filter with cooled camera after too.

I imaged the Veil nebula with a 600D though mine was modded, and I used an lextreme and a vintage 200mm lens.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

Have a look at some of the Player One planetary cameras, I'm not familiar with their range. But maybe as I said, perhaps consider getting the filter at least for emission nebulae. Save for a cooled camera. Use said filter with cooled camera after too.

I imaged the Veil nebula with a 600D though mine was modded, and I used an lextreme and a vintage 200mm lens.

Problem is my filter holder is in the nose piece of my flattener than I don't use and I don't want to buy a clip in.

You're right though I should save and buy more appropriate camera rather than risk disappointment with a compromise.

I appreciate all the help and opinions.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elp said:

Can you show an image of the flattener nosepiece filter holder, and the front end of the flattenner?

Will do but I had to remove the nose piece to screw the flattener into focus tube (Flo adapter).

On looking in the nose piece I can't see anything that looks like a filter thread. Or in the rest of the flattener :)

Picd incoming asap

is that it at the back of the flatener ? if so f&^k trying to screw in a filter to that without my finger tips touching the filter glass.

also, now i've screwed it all back into my scope, my camera is not quite at the same 'rotation' which will be a bit crap for my 'ongoing projects' (lol) but, on the flip side, it means it might improve that left side tilt/slightly too close back focus i have :)

also... i really want a camera rotater but that doesn't seem possible with a dslr, but there should be room for a filter drawer and a rotator with an astro cam i think/hope.

IMG_20240607_183821.thumb.jpg.3b2a0f8ca5294b9d8ab2b9017c36c225.jpgIMG_20240607_183852.thumb.jpg.b65dc93dc2da2bc0595279ab793240d2.jpg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Bit hard to see in the image but it looks like there's no m48 thread on the scope end of the nosepiece which is extremely odd. All my 2 inch flatteners have at least an m48 thread somewhere on it (some half way). See my Stellamira 0.8x flattener:

DSC_39863.thumb.JPG.7efff06301b8b36e391ad52d4f6e5df5.JPGDSC_39854.thumb.JPG.03d2d7852735eded90223446de2a4d85.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Elp said:

Bit hard to see in the image but it looks like there's no m48 thread on the scope end of the nosepiece which is extremely odd. All my 2 inch flatteners have at least an m48 thread somewhere on it (some half way). See my Stellamira 0.8x flattener:

DSC_39863.thumb.JPG.7efff06301b8b36e391ad52d4f6e5df5.JPGDSC_39854.thumb.JPG.03d2d7852735eded90223446de2a4d85.JPG

Yeah I had to get an adapter from flo because the focuser has non standard threads. Otherwise I had to use the nose piece and two iffy screws to hold it in. Now I can screw it in.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-m48-adapter-for-sky-watcher-newtonians-and-72ed-refractor-m54-with-10mm-backfocus.html

I think they made a batch or two which is pretty cool.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)

Up to you, out of my four flatteners only the WO one screws onto the scope, all the others fit into the 2 inch focuser aperture with compression ring fitment. All four I can screw on a 2 inch filter to save using a filter drawer, the WO one I have to open in half and screw the filter onto the inside then put back together. You'll likely get tilt with a compression fit but sometimes you can crop it out if it only affects the edges and you've got the sensor resolution to do it. I've never taken an image where tilt affects the whole frame so continue to use them like this, the only concern is tightening it enough so it doesn't fall out when the scope is pointed high, sometimes I place something soft on the floor or setup on grass in case. My Z61 thinking about it has 3 physical screws I think, not a compression ring, the Starfield has two but haven't had an issue with it.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

On 07/06/2024 at 19:50, Elp said:

Up to you, out of my four flatteners only the WO one screws onto the scope, all the others fit into the 2 inch focuser aperture with compression ring fitment. All four I can screw on a 2 inch filter to save using a filter drawer, the WO one I have to open in half and screw the filter onto the inside then put back together. You'll likely get tilt with a compression fit but sometimes you can crop it out if it only affects the edges and you've got the sensor resolution to do it. I've never taken an image where tilt affects the whole frame so continue to use them like this, the only concern is tightening it enough so it doesn't fall out when the scope is pointed high, sometimes I place something soft on the floor or setup on grass in case. My Z61 thinking about it has 3 physical screws I think, not a compression ring, the Starfield has two but haven't had an issue with it.

i appreciate what you're saying but i don't trust it all hanging off two screws and i wouldn't even if it was a compression ring type. i have a feeling im also not going to be able to fit a rotator and filter draw into my setup, but im trying to work it out if i can.

i 'need' a filter drawer to make reasonably easy access to filter changing, i'd 'like' a rotator. once i can reposition my guider on top of the ota rings (its dew heater band currently gets in the way of the locking bolt for the telescope's dovetail which is annoying) i can rotate the ota in the rings a bit if needed i guess. 

On 07/06/2024 at 20:06, Vroobel said:

I have this 0.8x Altair reducer:

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-08x-m92-reducer-for-altair-102edt-x-wave-series-refractor-12453-p.asp

I can unscrew the knurled part and there is the M48 filter thread inside. Check your flattener, perhaps there is something inside.

i put the bestest pics of my non premium flattener a few posts above. there is a lighter grey ring of threads in there which i think the filter would go into but i really don't fancy trying to do that in the dark without my sausauge fingers touching the filter glass etc. filter draw and maybe even two filter trays (luxury) seems a better idea for not too much extra cash. if its even possible wiith my gear.

• Like 1