NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting a Sky-Watcher 9x50 finder scope without drilling

Hi all, I’ve tried to see if this is answered elsewhere, apologies if it has. I bought a a Sky-Watcher 9x50 right angled finder scope to replace the red dot finder that came with my Heritage 150p Virtuouso GTI. I assumed it would be possible to connect to the same mount as the red-dot finder but now understand that might not be possible. Are there any solutions that don’t involve drilling as the thought of drilling holes in my telescope fills me with dread. Any suggestions welcome 

12 minutes ago, Fintan said:

the thought of drilling holes in my telescope fills me with dread

Me too, but I managed to do it on my heritage 150 with no problems. Took the primary out (I marked the orientation of the collar with masking tape so I could replace the cell the same way, hoping to reduce the re-collimation. It hardly needed more than a tweak .) swathed the secondary in j cloths & a plastic bag plus more masking tape, obviously with the front section opened out. Marked the holes needed on yet more masking tape, drilled with a brand new metal bit - it was my first go drilling anything metal - turned out to be easy.

In order to decide where to place the RACI I temporarily fixed the shoe on the 'scope tube with double sided foam glue strips - the sort of thing used to stick number plates on cars. I cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol first, and the strips held so firmly the shoe took the weight of the RACI easily with just a little give (because of the elasticity of the foam) . The location I chose worked well, and the foam pads were so good that I left them doing their job for a few months while I worked up the nerve to drill.

Heather

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Me too, but I managed to do it on my heritage 150 with no problems. Took the primary out (I marked the orientation of the collar with masking tape so I could replace the cell the same way, hoping to reduce the re-collimation. It hardly needed more than a tweak .) swathed the secondary in j cloths & a plastic bag plus more masking tape, obviously with the front section opened out. Marked the holes needed on yet more masking tape, drilled with a brand new metal bit - it was my first go drilling anything metal - turned out to be easy.

In order to decide where to place the RACI I temporarily fixed the shoe on the 'scope tube with double sided foam glue strips - the sort of thing used to stick number plates on cars. I cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol first, and the strips held so firmly the shoe took the weight of the RACI easily with just a little give (because of the elasticity of the foam) . The location I chose worked well, and the foam pads were so good that I left them doing their job for a few months while I worked up the nerve to drill.

Heather

Thanks for the response, I might do the same and try the glue strips first. 

I've had a look through the photos I've uploaded before, here are some showing where I put the finder

lowseatndob.jpg.0e6d0dedd20feeaf0d7f09dd

raci2.jpg.cc98f63ab0503b3d658bcab0b4836c this angle shows the RACI is located so it parks neatly between the RDF and focuser when the 'scope is closed.

If I can find the package I'll let you know what brand I bought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I mention the specific type of strip in that comment. Online search saved me ferreting through the shed  !

Awesome, thanks