Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Box Shelter for CEM70G

Hi All,

This is kind of a 'half way house' while I gather funds for a proper observatory.

The CEM70G is pier mounted on a section of telephone pole which also carries the steel box cover. The sequence of opening is numbered 1-4 in the attached images, with a second view of the fully opened setup numbered 5. While not in use, the CEM70G is shrouded in a large Telegizmos bag to protect against the Irish weather and the box sides and top are double lined with anti-condensation wrapping to prevent dripping. So far it's stood up to gales and heavy rain with no sign of moisture getting at the mount.

I have two issues after a year of use:

1) I left the rear slot too narrow - its just clears the saddle provided the mount is always parked at the zero position - too close for any error in this regard.

2) The weight of the box when opening and closing is just about tolerable, but not easy by any means - I'm pondering how I might add a couple of actuators to overcome this problem.

I would be very interested in feedback and suggested improvements for a MK2!!!

Thanks,

Pat

mount_shelter_1_of_5.jpg

mount_shelter_2_of_5.jpg

mount_shelter_3_of_5.jpg

mount_shelter_4_of_5.jpg

mount_shelter_5_of_5.jpg

• Like 4

I don't think you have it currently but perhaps mount the lower edges on some rails so it's easier to slide rather than awkwardly lift and move over. If the base is angled downwards it would be even easier to remove and push back up and lock into place.

Posted (edited)

Yes, that might be work better Elp...confirmed; the steel floor is level.

I'm not sure I have room for actuators (they would have to be inside the box in any event - I wonder would you get gas spring units instead to handle the load?
Not sure of the exact weight, but I do recall having to use a wheel barrow to carry it out from the workshop!

Pat

Edited by Pat Curran

Posted (edited)

Depending on the weight of each panel (and youll introduce water ingress but if it's covered this point may be moot), you could also section each panel and just have a hinge on each bottom end (the last panel would need to lock onto something so you can move one panel at a time) so they open like the open end of a box and remain fixed to the base, either section the current box or get some sheet metal and build anew. Locking the panels onto each other can be done in a number of ways. One panel can even be a set of steps for you to get up to the mount easier.

Edited by Elp

Thanks Elp,

It wouldn't be that easy to rework the inch box iron frame at this stage to facilitate panels, but I like your idea of just sliding it open to the North. I'd need to weld up a set of rails and fix runner bearings to the bottom of the box.

Might be the easier and cheaper option of all...certainly cheaper than actuators.

Regards,

Pat

• Like 1

It looks quite a weighty lump so if modifying it to have lift off side panels and lighten the load is not an option, how about something to help raise lower it? Something like this comes to mind....

Screenshot_20240606_101241_Chrome3.thumb.jpg.626bcdbedfd7c6869873a3462ccde5e2.jpg

It could help you raise/lower the enclosure. Maybe even some sort of permanent winch? 

A bit more drastic, cut the whole in half to widen it and mount it on a frame with wheels? I have a sentry box type arrangement with two lift off sides and I pick it up and move it out of the way but I am currently thinking wheels are in its future. All the best 

Yes M40,

Something like that might work, but I'm going to work on the idea of rolling it to the North to open first. Just need a raised frame with angle iron runners to allow it to roll on to when open...Will keep the 'extension' separate from existing frame too in order to avoid having the box causing vibration in the wind when parked in the open position.

Pat