Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about Asi air plus power draw

Posted (edited)

Hi folks, Been looking for a power station, and wonder if I could save some money going for a station with 2x12v/5A dc outputs, instead of 10A's.

But the manual says it requires 2A-6A, but I dont know if that's with the components that i charge via the asi air.

For example, my setup is the HEQ-5 PRO (which is gonna be powered independently)
ASI AIR PLUS, with the 120mini guidescope
and the camera is the zwo asi 533mc pro, so it all pretty much draws around 5A, so the question is, is 12V/5A enough or do i need to go for the 10A outputs?

Also, are the two dc outputs fine on this powerstation? it's very weird it says 12.8V-16.5V 10A total?

Edited by Kasperlaks

I've learnt over a lifetime to always over-provide when in comes to power supplies and you haven't mentioned dew heaters. The device you have selected is quite like the one I have, a Beaudens B-1502 166Whr unit that provides 230V AC at 150W (more than enough to power my set-up all night), it has two 12V 5521 DC outputs providing 10A between them - this means that either output could supply your 6A demand easily but don't add a second ASiAir Plus!
The unit Has one QC 3.0 port providing 5V 2.5A, 9V 2A or 12V 1.5A respectively  plus two USB ports providing 5V 2.4A each. It weighs less than 2Kg and hangs nicely under my tripod to add stability and powers an ASiAir-Mini to which I connect my ASi120MM guide camera. My Star Adventurer 2i wifi Pro mount is powered from the QC USB Port. The two other USB ports I use for adjustable dew heaters. New - and as yet untried - additions include a ZWO EAF and a ZWO ASi585MC camera which of course I will run off the ASiAir-Mini.
This may solve you dilema, search for it on Amazon.

I use usb sized power banks, including Celestron Lithium LT and Talentcells. The latter power my airs, plus the mount. You need to do an inline test, I found when camera is cooling (so max power draw for that function, well at 80pc as I was testing indoors), guide camera running, main camera taking images and mount slewing in both Dec and RA, the draw was 3A. For realiability however if I'm using batteries I tend to power the mount with its own source. Dew heaters are always powered separately due to their draw, unless you have a supply with sufficient capacity to power everything.

Max voltage needs to be higher than 12V as the battery voltage will drop when in use and most equipment will stop working at less than 11V in the battery or so I've found.

Posted (edited)

I use two Xbox 12V 16A PSUs from ebay to powering my CGX + NINA setups and EQ5 OnStep mod + ASIAir setups. 16A is safe enough, I never regretted this choice. Some electrical skills and tools are needed to adapt them to individual needs. There are a bit newer PSUs offering 14A which is still more than needed. My CGX setups contain everything typical excluding a motorised rotator, but I power also a flat panel from my AstroPC. ASIAir also powers the flat panel. 

Screenshot_20240605-222754.thumb.jpg.daf0105440c74ebd70025ff369e4d62a.jpg

Edit. 

Recently I bought a Jackery 500 portable power source. I tested it with the two fully working setups at the time powered from 12V outputs - it's ok for one night, no more. 

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

Xbox 12V 16A PSUs

I could have saved a pretty penny with one of these... I ended up with a Pegasus (note not their own product as per the norm) 10A one for a specific rig.

My other mains ones are 5A.

Edited by Elp