NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mod to CEM70G Power Supply

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

I copied the wiring mod shown by Locutus720 in his YouTube video here:

I use only Losmandy plates, so no problem getting the cable out the top. The problem with the CEM70 for me is the two power outs (5A on front and 3A on rear of the saddle) just cannot provide the potential 12A draw of the Pegasus Astro PowerBox Advance.

My copied mod...

20240522_193239.jpg

20240522_193229.jpg

Edited by Pat Curran

Posted (edited)

The orange Lynx cable no longer hangs!😁

Now I just have to get rid of the one last cable...the USB 3.0 carrying comms between the mini PC and the mount...

I think there is a YouTube video on that too!

Regards,

Pat

20240522_193541.jpg

Edited by Pat Curran

I have a similar set up with no cables trailing at all, and I ran a USB 3 cable through the mount as you have, for the Pegasus UPB, but I power the UPB from the left hand power port on the saddle, that in turn is fed by a second power port on the back of the mount on a non moving part of the mount, and works perfectly..👍🏻

Thanks Stuart,

Do you have the 'G' variant with the WiFi?

I have seen somebody on CN modifying the G Mount's default WiFi mode so the control PC in the shed (in my case) can control the mount via the mini PC without that last cable being used at all.

That's the route I want to explore firstly...if it fails, I'll go with your method.

Thanks again,

Pat

1 minute ago, Pat Curran said:

Thanks Stuart,

Do you have the 'G' variant with the WiFi?

I have seen somebody on CN modifying the G Mount's default WiFi mode so the control PC in the shed (in my case) can control the mount via the mini PC without that last cable being used at all.

That's the route I want to explore firstly...if it fails, I'll go with your method.

Thanks again,

Pat

No Wi-Fi, mine is the G model….☹️

Posted (edited)

I think this might just be the one good use of the mount's Wifi...its very weak and I had constant drops in connection from just 20ft away.

All I need to ask of it now is to connect to the Slate Plus router in the upper plastic container on the telephone pole pier above...a mere foot or so.

The Slate Plus is hard wired under ground back to the shed PC via ethernet cable.

Pat

Edited by Pat Curran
  • Like 1

This is the thread on CN by user bemo47 about getting the CEM70G Wifi to talk to a router, allowing a remote PC on the telescope to control the mount without the last tethered cable in my case...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/763433-cem70g-connect-it-by-wifi-to-your-local-network/

I got as far as changing the mount's wifi mode from default AP mode to STA mode following the instructions before rain stopped play...more to do.

Regards,

Pat

Success!

I am now cable free.

Finally got to talk to the CEM70G from the shed PC (via ethernet underground) via the Slate Plus on the pier, via wifi to the Mini PC atop the Comet Hunter, via the CEM70G's own Wifi set from Access Point (AP) mode to Station (STE).

I connected and disconnected a few times to make sure the Slate Plus wasn't assigning a different IP address each time...it appears to be talking to the mount via the same address each time.

20240524_204850.jpg

20240524_205031.jpg