Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C8 EdgheHD + Baader Flip Mirror II

Hi all, 

I have recently bought the Baader flip mirror to use with my C8 edge for planetary imaging + visual at the same time, to make life easier. 

I am using the ASI462MC and I have the SVBONY zoom eyepiece. 

I am able to attach the flip mirror to the telescope via the Celestron T-Adapter, and the eyepiece + helical focuser goes on the top opening. 

However I am struggling to get the camera attached. I have the camera with a t-nose attached to the ZWO helical focuser, but it does not have the right attachment to the camera. I think I need a M42-M48, but I am unsure of the right size. I have a 16mm one that came with my ASI2600MC, but when I used that I am unable to get focus (eyepiece is in focus no issues) 

Anyone knows what the backfocus is I need for the camera, and what is the correct adaptor I need?

TIA x

Posted (edited)

Picture for reference. Only way I can get the camera to attach is with the 16mm M42-M48 adaptor that came with my other camera. However am not sure if this is the right size or getting correct backfocus. 

20240515_230800.jpg

Edited by Vic L S

Posted (edited)

1. As Hals suggests, for Planetary you want to "magnify" the tiny dot that is the planet, so the FR is counter-productive.

2. At the moment the camera is too far away from the mirror, and the eyepiece is too close, because of the helical focuser

The focuser should go before the Flip Mirror.

Because if the focuser is after, if you have to focus the camera, the eyepiece will go out of focus.

Before the Flip Mirror, both camera and eyepiece remain in sync.

In your case you have an electronic focuser on the OTA, so the helical focuser is probably meant for the eyepiece port.

3. As with an Off Axis Guider, the distances from the centre of the mirror to the eyepiece and to the camera sensor must be setup to be the same, for both to be in focus at the same time.

Once that is set up, any adjustment to the focuser before the Flip Mirror will refocus the camera and the eyepiece.

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, michael8554 said:

1. As Hals suggests, for Planetary you want to "magnify" the tiny dot that is the planet, so the FR is counter-productive.

2. At the moment the camera is too far away from the mirror, and the eyepiece is too close, because of the helical focuser

The focuser should go before the Flip Mirror.

Because if the focuser is after, if you have to focus the camera, the eyepiece will go out of focus.

Before the Flip Mirror, both camera and eyepiece remain in sync.

In your case you have an electronic focuser on the OTA, so the helical focuser is probably meant for the eyepiece port.

3. As with an Off Axis Guider, the distances from the centre of the mirror to the eyepiece and to the camera sensor must be setup to be the same, for both to be in focus at the same time.

Once that is set up, any adjustment to the focuser before the Flip Mirror will refocus the camera and the eyepiece.

Michael

Hi Micheal, 

Thanks for your input. I was so focused on the flip mirror I totally forgot the focuser was on there until I took the whole thing out and looked at the moon. Didn't really want to be fumbling with removing bits in the dark. 

Both the eyepiece and camera have a helical focuser attached, the eyepiece has a basic one and the camera has the ZWO non rotating helical focuser attached. 

So I should move the ZWO helical focuser to the front of the flip mirror, that makes sense. 

However if that is the case I am now unsure how to attach my camera to the flip mirror. Would you happen to know what adapter I might need? 

As for an OAG I haven't gotten that far yet, something to add on in the future. 

Many thanks again. 

Edited by Vic L S

Posted (edited)

You should only use one helical focuser and that should be on the top for the eyepiece. Remove the reducer completely. You can then fit a T2 - 1.25" eyepiece holder and using the cameras supplied 1 25" nosepiece simply fit to the flip mirror. The nosepiece can also be used for the fitting of an UV/IR cut filter which is required for planetary imaging. Or a IR pass filter if imaging in IR. No off axis guider for planetary imaging. You could also screw the camera directly onto the mirror with a T2 - T2 adapter but I prefer the nosepiece as it allows me to rotate the camera and fit filters.

Edited by bosun21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

You should only use one helical focuser and that should be on the top for the eyepiece. Remove the reducer completely. You can then fit a T2 - 1.25" eyepiece holder and using the cameras supplied 1 25" nosepiece simply fit to the flip mirror. The nosepiece can also be used for the fitting of an UV/IR cut filter which is required for planetary imaging. Or a IR pass filter if imaging in IR. No off axis guider for planetary imaging. You could also screw the camera directly onto the mirror with a T2 - T2 adapter but I prefer the nosepiece as it allows me to rotate the camera and fit filters.

Hi, thanks for the input. Yes I forgot about the reducer 😅 too focused on the flip mirror set up. 

The eyepiece has the helical focuser so I guess all fine on that front of things. 

The camera has a 1.25" nose piece with a UV/IR cut filter on it, but I have no way of attaching it directly to the flip mirror as I don't seem to have the right adapter. 

Do you know what I might need?