NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Goto motor or new telescope with goto build in?

Greetings and goodevening, im totally new here and id like to ask for some advice regarding the situation im in setting up my astrophotography package.

A few years ago i got into the hobby of photographing the nightsky and slowly rolled into getting a telescope to try and help me with this.
I ended up purchasing the besser 102/1000mm refractor because i didnt have that much knowhow of telescopes at the time (it said DEEP SKY so i was sold). the telescope came with a EQ-5/EXOS2 mount, without the trackingmotor/goto system.
Now ive tried doing manual tracking or taking short exposures and stack those but i know i could be getting alot better results if i had the means to track what im looking at for longer exposures, and convenience sake.

i was eyeballing the goto system from bresser a few years ago when they were still around 350/400 euros, hoping theyd drop in price over time but now the goto system costs 520 euros.

Wich to my judgement kind of lands me in a fork in the road where i can either 
A: buy a smaller telescope that might be abit more practical then the 1000mm tube im walking around with, that already has a goto system with equatorial mount around the price range of the motor or abit above.
B: buy the goto system for the mount that i already have for 520 euros, and maybe look for a smaller reflector at a later point, i dont hate the 1000mm one that i have now, its just that through google searches i see a couple people on forums saying starting out with a 1000mm is not a good idea because of dificulty, or that a 102/1000mm refractor is not good for imaging to begin with.

Or a new option C i found today wich is this motor for 150 euros a:  EQ-5-motorset RA and DEC, with ST4 autoguider interface
 https://www.astroshop.be/motoren-kits/skywatcher-eq-5-motorset-ra-en-dec-met-st4-autoguider-interface/p,46068?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=46068&utm_campaign=2405&utm_source=froogle-nl&gclid=CjwKCAjw9IayBhBJEiwAVuc3foiUVqwHdUnfMnwarMTBgQTdOy34d5JNdI5wgG_-RNTm4Rm3M5VVQxoCSKIQAvD_BwE&utm_content=#specifications

But im not sure about this one because i cant find much info on the system, would this allow me to hook it up to a laptop and use software like APT together with my nikon dslr to track the nightsky properly or would i need a different motor system to achieve this?

I might be asking a stupid obvious question here but i dont really have someone with alot of knowledge on this that i can ask so im trying here :)

You've already bought the wrong kit once, as most of us did when we started. It would be a shame to do so a second time, and upgrading an EQ5 as you suggest would still not leave you with a fully satisfactory astrphotographic mount. I would be looking at buying an HEQ5 in the knowledge that this will work for you.

Think what we are asking of our mounts: we want them to track the sky with a precision amounting to an error no larger than half a pixel at the imaging camera. That works out to about one part in 2 million. When you have this, your mount's tracking is effectively perfect, in that it improving it wouldn't make a visible difference. If you have an autoguided HEQ5 this will be possible at reasonable resolution. Long focal lengths/very fine image scales would need slightly better but I would worry about that later.

HEQ5 and NEQ6 mounts come up on the used markets.

Olly

• Like 1

It appears that you bought the wrong telescope and the wrong mount.  The conventional choice would be a f5 ED refractor and a HEQ5 (or bigger) mount.  This will inevitably cost a wad of money.  If that is not where you want to go, consider cheaper and wider field options, eg a DSLR and lenses on a tracker mount.