Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Summer double effort (13/05/2024)

SwiMatt

It's basically summer here, meaning that the only thing I can currently observe without destroying my sleep pattern is sunlight - either direct or reflected. So yesterday afternoon I enjoyed a good time under the Sun and sketched the whole disk with all its activity - 9 active regions! Here's the page from my sketch-/logbook:

20240512_210140.thumb.jpg.a6f9ee14ba491ab4cb77930573c353cf.jpg

In the evening I looked back at the Moon for the first time in a month or so, and found that my sketching skills got very rusty! I'm not very happy of the final result for this one, but it was a valiant effort on my part given how tired I was this weekend. I sketched Crater Gutenberg and some of the area surrounding it - at 200x. Like always, I don't pick my targets before being out, I prefer to let myself like something: I was captivated by the ear-like shape of the formation, and the dome/hill laying just further down along the terminator. This sketch was not as finished as I would have liked, but tiredness came over me and sketching at 200x with manual controls is a busy matter.

20240512_223421.thumb.jpg.ab7a45d318e0f1d07f868a66ea1ed19e.jpg

• Like 9

Great sketches. I love sketching the sun. No dark adaptation or fiddling about trying to see with a red torch. Mind you, I still like to sketch clusters and doubles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YogSothoth said:

Great sketches. I love sketching the sun. No dark adaptation or fiddling about trying to see with a red torch. Mind you, I still like to sketch clusters and doubles. 

The problem is that I'm losing the habit to sketch when it's dark. The other day I was getting frustrated sketching the Moon at dusk, because I couldn't see the paper. It took me a minute to realize that it was getting dark and I wasn't using a light 🤣

• Haha 1