Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reverse (Inverse?) printing DSS images in Windows?

I downloaded some images from the Digital Sky Survey and I'd like to print them with black stars on white - I was going to make a couple homebrew finder charts just for an experiment.

Short of buying full-blown Acrobat or something, is there a (free) Windows tool that will do that?  I don't see an option in Paint, Paint 3D, Photos, etc.

Thanks!

You can invert images with GIMP to get what you were looking for, and GIMP is free.

Its in Colors -> Invert. You can also desaturate the image to make a black and white image from the same menu.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use IrfanView which is a free image viewer, as it's fast and handles many image file types. It has quite a few image editing features too including 'Image Negative or invert' (hotkey Ctrl-Shift-N) which does what you want. 🙂 There are lots of plugins available for it too if you want it to do more.

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1