Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6207

When observing Messier 13 and being enthralled by a blizzard of stars don’t forget that just half a degree northeast is a galaxy.

From M13 in a low power eyepiece pan northeast to leave M13 at the edge of the field of view. NGC 6207 is now within your field of view.  If you cannot see the galaxy then increase to medium power and carefully look. The higher magnification darkens the background sky, increasing the contrast with the smudge of light.

Last night using my 10” Dob from my light polluted back yard I did just that.  I had to wait until after 11.00pm BST for full astronomical darkness. M13 was lovely and globular clusters look best at medium to high power. Don’t be afraid to crank up the magnification and see what you get. Using a 5mm eyepiece at 240x was best- the fore mentioned blizzard of stars was revealed.  From a dark site 6207 is a walk in the park, under a town sky it’s doable with a bit of persistence.

From deep sky M13, to very deep sky NGC 6207…..never forget the magnificent privilege of observing the universe we are actually a part of…..we are starstuff as Carl Sagan once remarked.

Star chart attached.

Clear skies to you, Ed.

IMG_1443.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice one Ed,

On a night a couple of weeks ago when I was supposed to be finishing a session on the sparkly high of M13 I also picked up this galaxy (for the first time). 

It was pretty subtle with an 8” at x141 and skies probably SQM ~20.5 or 20.6 or so. Though subtle it wasn’t terribly hard so a little bit strange why it was a first for me only recently given it’s location. I think you probably do have to look for it quite deliberately; in my skies you wouldn’t see it “by accident” when looking at M13 or drifting off it or hopping to that cluster or away from it. At least I haven’t.

cheers

• Like 1

Update on opening post.  The clear sky on the evening of Saturday 4th May was correctly forecast.  Sunday night 5th all forecasts said don’t bother, but they were all wrong….

So I was pleased to be out again with the 10” Dob. A bonus was the sky looked more transparent, at the zenith without optical aid I could see mag +4.2 Chara, the Beta star in the Hunting Dogs. Not too bad for a town backyard.

I again observed M13 and this time NGC 6207 was better seen. My iffy sketches are below in the hope this will help others locate galaxy 6207.

The left sketch is at 44x with approximately 1.5 degrees actual field of view.  Alongside M13 are 2 obvious stars of about Mag +7.  If you take a line from the left hand star through and beyond M13 it takes you in the direction of the galaxy.  Look for 2 obvious stars and a fainter one. Once you’ve spotted those, use medium power to darken the sky background and hopefully spot the elongated smudge of 6207.

Points to note-  the galaxy and aforementioned stars form a “keystone” similar in proportion to the very prominent “Hercules Keystone” easily seen in the chart in the opening post. Also note, there are much fainter stars, not included in the sketches.

My hope is that this description will help, not confuse and hinder😊.  If you can get to a dark site your chances will increase, but if you’re stuck in town like me, DO NOT give up!   Best to make the most of these moon free nights before the May full moon and then June arrives without true astronomical darkness from UK latitudes.

If you cannot find the galaxy, just enjoy the blizzard of stars that is M13, crank up the power, see what you get!

Happy hunting, Ed.

IMG_1462.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Great reports and sketches 👍

I love to try and pick out NGC 6207. Widefield eyepieces help to frame both it and Messier 13 in the same field while maintaining enough magnification to tease to galaxy out.

I've seen NGC 6207 with my ED120 refractor on a decently dark night here.

Edited by John

43 minutes ago, John said:

I've seen NGC 6207 with my ED120 refractor on a decently dark night here.

You have better skies than me. I’m not envious……I’m VERY envious…..😁

• Haha 1