Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

For other beginners :)

Posted (edited)

About 3 weeks ago I foolishly decided to do a test with my stock dslr on rosette nebula and got about 45 mins on it.

I took some time processing results, which weren't great, but, hey, in modded dslr, what do I expect?

rosette_drizzle_2755s-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.5abd5d802e2d4e7bdc8e30f3b25e1a53.jpg

After I set my gear going on trio in Leo last night, I thought I'd kill sometime and have another go at stacking and processing it, etc. I was quite shocked. Yes, it's over done and grainy and probably more bad things, but it does seem to show my dslr has more potential than I'm making use of properly.

rosetteredonerotate.thumb.jpg.027ff2f806642c3794818ea740613577.jpg

This is a mostly ir emission nebula? Maybe I've given up on other emission nebula, before I get an astro cam, too soon?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 2

Emission, it's strong in all three narrowband passes, ha, S2 and O3. If you image it via a colour camera and dual narrowband filter you'll get similar to your very stretched image but with more of it. My lextreme data was added to the narrowband signal here:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I'm gonna play with my stretch a bit more, I think I can make something that looks ok, for a target I assumed my dslr would struggle with.

Will also get a lot more hours on it when it's in a better position.

Your image is ridiculously good btw. Almost hologram like. I'm not expecting to replicate that :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

There is a demon tweak available in Photoshop for boosting Ha signal and it may also work in GIMP, I don't know. Simply go to Image-Adjustments-Selective Colour and it will open in the Reds. Just move the top slider to the left to lower the cyans in red. Out pops the Ha.

Olly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

There is a demon tweak available in Photoshop for boosting Ha signal and it may also work in GIMP, I don't know. Simply go to Image-Adjustments-Selective Colour and it will open in the Reds. Just move the top slider to the left to lower the cyans in red. Out pops the Ha.

Olly

Will that work with my data taken via my non astro modded dslr? in my over stretched image, i was surprised how much red i got in the middle. im assuming the red at the edge of the frame (even after a crop) is noise related.

Definitely going to give this target some hours, once it comes back into view.