Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last night's Aurora.

There was another nice aurora last night.

I been previewing the images from my remote allsky camera in Cumbria. Having a bit of a struggle to download one to my phone just now. But here is a screen grab of a frame at about 01.50. Some detail is evident so I think the timelapse will be nice. The lonely RasPi will churn that out later and I'll post it after I get out of bed after this night shift.

Screenshot_20240503_035934_RVNCViewer.thumb.jpg.9653a4423391f37fdc5bf53dcdefcaae.jpg

• Like 7

Here is last nights allsky timelapse. North to the left.

The glow at upper left is Penrith. It's light now severely affecting my once dark-sky location. The plane tracks are mostly self evident and most of the other meteorish, single frame, trails are satellite flares. I'll have a closer look, frame by frame later but the ones I've investigated so far look very satelitish. I'm guessing the bright object arcing to the right, going into dawn in ISS.

Anyway, I remember a time when the sky looked like this with just my own eyeballs. I never get bored of this stuff. If you listen closely you can hear the celestial gears whirring...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, scotty1 said:

Very murky in the SouthEast last night, but I see the Aurora was picked up from Cornwall.

I see a pattern here, whenever there's an aurora it's clear in Cornwall.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Paul M said:

Here is last nights allsky timelapse. North to the left.

The glow at upper left is Penrith. It's light now severely affecting my once dark-sky location. The plane tracks are mostly self evident and most of the other meteorish, single frame, trails are satellite flares. I'll have a closer look, frame by frame later but the ones I've investigated so far look very satelitish. I'm guessing the bright object arcing to the right, going into dawn in ISS.

Anyway, I remember a time when the sky looked like this with just my own eyeballs. I never get bored of this stuff. If you listen closely you can hear the celestial gears whirring...

There's no sound I can't hear the gears whirring.

This was a G3 storm according to Space weather. 

Edited by scotty1

1 minute ago, scotty1 said:

There's no sound I can't hear the gears whirring.

I must be imagining things then...🙂

• Haha 1