Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun on 02/05/2024

SwiMatt

I know, I know, yet another sketch of the Sun! But it's the only star I get to see these days :grin: 

Today region 3663 was showing in its magnetic magnificence, and our star has a completely different face from two days ago. 

For the "technical" side, I decided to sketch on a bigger frame, which made the darkening of the limb slightly more difficult. In the end I also attempted to give the effect of the trembling disk by slightly blending the border, but I'm not convinced by the effect.

20240502_190217.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

the effect of the trembling disk

I'm not sure what you mean by "trembling disk". Maybe because I've never observed the sun in this way. Could you clarify? 

Posted (edited)

@AlcorAlly When you look at the Sun in white light, it's like a very bright disk, but if you look closely at the edge of the disk, you can notice the effect of our moving atmosphere. The effect is that the edge of the disk isn't quite fixed, it fluctuate ever so slightly. It's similar to when you can resolve a planetary disk (say Jupiter), but details on the planet are difficult to see: sometimes you have the distinct impression that the planet gets in and out of focus.

On the Sun, for me, it almost looks like I can feel the heat coming out of the surface, and I wanted to try and capture that feeling.

Edited by SwiMatt
  • Thanks 1