NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrosharp

I've been playing with Astrosharp this weekend, and I am quite pleased with the results so far. My test data is very noisy, I am hoping to gather some cleaner data tonight.

However, the Astrosharp docs are nonexistent so I am not clear about the finer details of the tool. Which model is best to use - I am assuming Dual PSF for now. There is also an Astro clean model, but that seems to be a fairly potent noise reduction model? Has anyone out together a page describing what the different models do?

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

This was captured on a 99% Moon night, with strong city light pollution too. I only got an hour between clouds and I am using an uncooled camera so the image is dominated by noise. I am trying to get my stars smaller and get a bit more contrast and detail in the galaxy.

My process is currently:

1. Graxpert removes the gradient and denoises the image.

2. Siril removes green noise, does a photometric color balance, and does a first stretch.

3. Astrosharp does the sharpening.

4. Siril does a star reduction.

5. Final tweaks to the histogram in Gimp.

Autosave_GraXpert_siril_astrosharp_siril_gimp.thumb.png.17407251474fa0be301b5a23f1d2c217.png 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I will give Astrosharp a try! 

What process in siril did you use for star reduction? Was it deconvolution or something else? 

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

try Astro Denoise PY 0.5.2 for noise reduction....

I think that is created by the developer of GraXpert, which now features a very powerful noise reduction ability too.

5 hours ago, Vash said:

Astrosharp

I find Astrosharp provides a fairly good sharpening without introducing artifacts or making noise worse, as long as you don’t overdo it.