Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads Up on the ASI678MM

For sometime I have been keeping a watching brief on the release by ZWO of their ASI678MM model camera and after contacting their support some little time ago to verify the camera was soon going to be released. At the time I anticipated maybe a June release but it was quietly added to the ZWO line of models these past weeks. The price seems to be $349 on the ZWO page.

More from ZWO here- https://www.zwoastro.com/product/zwo-asi678mc/

image.png.3b9fc1438036f8514b267ca9dfa73b9b.png

I also see the model is currently also available to pre-order at Telescope Service for 467 Euro with the camera expected to be available from the 10th May 2024. I found more detail at-

https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/asi-zwo-129/deep-sky-cameras-uncooled-17/zwo-asi678mc-color-usb3-0-astro-camera-sensor-d-8-86-mm-2-0-m-pixel-size-17893

image.png.1595949e4778b550a44f7478afb6e9ed.png

Hope this helps whet the appetite of some other SGL members on what is otherwise a rather wet and cold day here in the UK.

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 3

It's also on the FLO website (here).

There is also an Altair version and a QHY version, both with the guide camera format. The Altair version is cheaper (£299 vs £349) and I believe it uses a super low noise mode of the IMX678 sensor (read noise is 0.42e to 2.43e vs 0.6e-3.5e).

I've been thinking about getting one of these camera for EAA. I have a OSC IMX585 camera at present and was thinking that monochrome might be better for faint objects. With 2x2 binning the IMX678 gives HD resolution and 4µm pixels which without the Bayer matrix is 571% better light grab (per pixel) than the IMX585 (in 1x1 binning mode).

• Like 3