Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon Two Ways - iPhone - 17/04/24

Skywatcher 200p Dob on DIY EQ platform. Southampton urban garden, Bortle 7, 17th April 2024.  Seeing decent. BST StarGuider 15mm. iPhone 14 Pro held to the eyepiece using a no-brand smartphone adapter. Images from Live Photo and 4K at 60fps Video. All editing & processing on the phone.

For lunar/solar, when using a modern iPhone with the stock camera app, you have several choices when making a capture through the eyepiece. Eg on my iPhone 14 Pro…

* “Standard” resolution, HEIF (just pressing the shutter icon) still photo. On my iPhone this produces images in a format known as HEIF.

* Higher resolution still photo in RAW format. 

*Something called Live Photo, also in HEIF.

*Taking a video and then manually selecting a single frame or stacking using the iPhone VideoStack app.

Here I’m just sticking to capture, editing & processing iPhone only. RAW can work well but I find it harder to edit using standard tools/apps on the phone and for me is only of benefit if/when seeing is very good. 

Live Photo is an interesting one. The way it works is to take a short burst (about 1.5 seconds I think). This can be viewed in various ways including a short animation. When doing a lunar or solar snap and after I’ve taken a Live Photo, I select an option called “Duplicate as Still Photo”. Exactly what this does I’m not sure, but it seems to produce something of better quality than just a “standard” still photo. It seems to combine the Live Photo frames in some way. Stacking? I don’t know. But it can produce nice results, sometimes better than RAW, especially if seeing isn’t the best.

These two images were done at the end of a lunar observation session on 17th April. As is typical for me I didn’t plan to take any images and was all a bit of an after thought. Here I’ve just tried two methods:- 1. is a Live Photo; 2. is the result of a short 30 Sec video, stacked on the phone with the VideoStack app. The Live Photo is sharper and does show more detail. The VideoStack example isn’t as sharp but personally I like the contrast, the highlights look more natural to me. It’s also only 30 seconds, which for stacking isn’t a lot! With the VideoStack image I didn’t need to do much editing. It also managed colour fringing better. The Live Photo took more work. I’ve kept both images with a little colour and tried to keep them at a similar scale so you can compare. It’s also worth noting that the Live Photo is much bigger:- initially 1.2MB; the VideoStack image - 389KB. VideoStack is really made for planets in which case this is fine. And it might be more suited to lunar or solar closeups and/or when the seeing is iffy, as it has the ability to “cut through” some of this. Anyway, I’ve rambled enough. You can tell it’s cloudy!

Live PhotoIMG_5575.thumb.jpeg.0bfc71439e55b8cb450b48668e809c81.jpeg

Short video, stacked on the phone with VideoStackIMG_5566.jpeg.cbb85a2129f6cb8a3aeba942ed521115.jpeg 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 9